Lowe's 3x6 "Glossy White" Tile Question - American Olean - But what's the real name? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Lowe's 3x6 "Glossy White" Tile Question - American Olean - But what's the real name?

NastyBurn
02-13-2007, 08:54 PM
You folks are going to think I'm nutso! :twitch:

I just got back from Lowe's -- They have what they call 3x6 Glossy White Field Tile. The color is "Glossy White"...

Ok, so you go on American Olean's site (the tile @ Lowe's are made by AO) -- and you look at the 3x6 tile they show... well none of it is called the same thing? Does anyone know what the scoop is with this tile? Is it a special named tile since Lowe's carries it? Inferior? What's the deal?

Also, I need the 3x6 with the bullnose on the 3" side... not on the 6" side, like what they sell at Lowe's... I thought about cutting a 6x6 with the bullnose down the middle... but then I lose the nice edge on the tile... so that looks like crap.

Anyone know the story... should I hit a regular tile store and hope I don't get raped on price?

Help,

Pete :wave:

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
02-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Pete,
The AO color code for "Gloss White" is #10, I believe. You can call a showroom tomorrow to confirm, if you like?
I don't know the size availability in that color, but I expect that you should be able to order it through a real tile supplier. Same goes for the 6"x3" surface bullnose. I don't know of any "subway" tile that doesn't have both "top" and "side" bullnose, also. Well, maybe Lanka Tile but you aren't talking abotu them any-who.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

NastyBurn
02-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the info... I'm going to get some self-educating today on this...

Thanks,

Pete

Caroline
02-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I ordered Olean tile through Lowe's, mine was a matte finish. They have so many *whites* it's scary, so you need to find out what the color code is. They had all the various type tiles, I just looked through their catalog to find what I needed and wrote down the correct numbers.

NastyBurn
02-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Caroline,

Who's catalog? Lowe's or AO?

It turns out that the part number on Lowe's tile: SL1036MODHC1

Comes up as "White Field Tile"

Well that's just dandy, but which "White" is it? And which field is it? It is a 3" Tall by 6" Wide tile...and is is white. @ Lowe's they seem to have two whites (with a gloss) -- "Ice White" and "Glossy White" -- Well, that's dandy... but it doesn't tell me what the heck the name of the tile is. :(

I'm waiting ro AO to open (they open late due to ice storm) and I hope I get a good person on the line.

Pete

Shaughnn
02-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Pete,
"SL1036MODHC1"

The "SL10" refers to "Glossy White". "Glossy Ice White" is "SL25"
The dimensions of the field tile are "36", or 3"x6.
I can't say for certain what "MODHC1" applies to, unfortuneately, though I'm suspicious that it's a referance to the tile series and grade. Perhaps "MODular, Home Center, Grade 1"? I'd let the fine folks at AO explain that bit though.

"S-4639" is the ordering number for 3"x6" tile with a surface bullnose along the 3" edge.
"S-4369" is the ordering number for the 3"x6" tile with a surface bullnose along the 6" edge.

Best of luck,
Shaughnn

lojoma
02-14-2007, 10:10 AM
By the way, this tile is called Greenwich Village . I'm pretty sure what they have in stock at Lowe's is called Designer White by AO but I'm not sure. This is the stuff I'm going to use on my walls, too. It's either Designer White or Ice White but I think it's Designer.

http://www.americanolean.com/series.cfm?cat=38&sid=63

NastyBurn
02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Well, they stock Ice... so the other may be designer.

Thanks!!

I'm waiting on a call to a person at AO that should be able to help.

Thanks again,
Pete

NastyBurn
02-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Well. Here goes. I got the *full* scoop and it ain't good.

First of all. The 3x6 "Field Tile Glossy White" that you buy in Lowe's is "SL" -- "SL" stands for "Starter Line" -- it is the absolute bottom of the line tile AO makes. (That's why it is $1.76 a square foot). Next. The color "Glossy White" is NOT NOT NOT a regular AO color it is a special color made JUST for Lowe's. It is *NOT* Greenwich Village.

Almost NONE of the tiles that you need to do a proper "subway" job are made for this tile. There is *NO* 3x6 with the bullnose on the 3" side.

I got this information from the person that is in charge of the all the Lowe's - AO product at AO.

The moral of the story, if you want the job to look real and right you have to go with Greenwich Village which is around $4.50 a square foot. Then you can get any bullnose styles you want.

:( Pete

lojoma
02-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Hmmm...bad news for me, too. I sure thought it was Greenwich Village.

But, I bought a few of these and brought them home...the color looks fine to me. How bad would it look if you had to cut the bullnose tiles? I guess I am fortunate that I only have one corner where this would be an issue and that is the edge of a closet door frame where I would have to cut the length of the tile anyway...I don't think it will look bad at all for my situation.

I'm sure glad you brought this to everyone's attention, though...I bet a lot of people want to use this tile. The price sure is good!

NastyBurn
02-15-2007, 06:38 AM
I agree, for the price it may work for some people. And I would have "ripped" a 6x6 bullnose and made it work. But after all the work I did on this bathroom -- I just can't justify using crap tile. I'm going to go see how condescending the people at the local tile store in the next couple days and take it from there. I don't even want to order the Greenwich Village from Lowe's at this point. I just don't trust them -- but that's my own thing.

Pete

lojoma
02-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Obviously I don't know your whole dealing with Lowe's at this point, but why would you not trust Lowe's over this? Did they make a misleading claim for this product? What makes this crap tile, other than the fact that you can't get some of the pieces you want?

I'm asking the quality question seriously...why is this bad tile in and of itself??

Anybody else have an opinion on this? I was really hoping to use this tile for the cost.

NastyBurn
02-15-2007, 09:12 AM
John,

It is a Class I (Class One) tile. It is basically the absolute lowest quality tile you can buy. (PEI Rating). It was "specially made, both in color and quality for Lowe's" -- this is from the NATIONAL SALES MANAGER FOR AO - Home Store Division (Home Depot and Lowe's).

I'll spare you my *personal* issues with Lowe's since they have nothing to do with this topic. I already bought 700+ of these tiles that I now need to return. So I was MORE than willing to do the job with the tile -- the fact that they didn't have the size I needed is only the icing on the cake. Had they had the sizes I needed I would have probably never researched it and done the job. Once I researched it and learned I made my mind up.

I have bought Rialto tile from Lowe's in the past. They are, in my opinion, some of the best tile on the market as a whole. They are not cheap, but they are EXTREMELY high quality -- to the point that you could use them in a large shopping center. They are the highest PEI rating you can get. So I, like an idiot, thought that these tile (AO) would be good too.

Moral of the story. Lowe's 3x6 are NOT Greenwich Village.

I hope my explanation helps,

Pete

NastyBurn
02-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Forget most of my reply above.

I just got off the phone with Tech Manager @ AO.

The tile @ Lowe's and the GW line are made in the same plant and are almost the same tile. If you can handle not having all the right "sizes" -- use the Lowe's tile.

Basically it is a ploy to keep the mom & pop tile stores happy since they are selling to Lowe's for 1/2 the price.

Sucks, but it is reality.

If anyone need good phone numbers for AO let me know. Their site sucks.

Pete

SeattleIS300
04-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Are these AO Subways from Lowes have the self-lug or self-spacing?

-Joe

MudGuy
04-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Joe -

Yep, the lugs create about a 1/16" non-sanded grout joint.