Redgard application - which is correct? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Redgard application - which is correct?

Bucho
02-01-2007, 12:00 AM
OK, I'm new to the whole Redgard thing. I have read the instructions, and am completely confused as to how one is supposed to apply the stuff with a paint roller. I am convinced that the goal is to soak it all up, and force one to buy 2x as much Redgard as is actually needed.

So, to make sure that I'm not getting carried away, which of these 2 photos more closely represents a correct application of Redgard:

A) This is the rolled on sample
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/376233939_a3e914af94_o.jpg

B) This is the trowelled sample
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/376233944_e716232155_o.jpg

Thank you.

Sponsored Links

muskymike
02-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Hi Bucho, when you roll it on the wall, you don't need to put it on that thick, you can roll it out so the whole wall is covered then put another coat after it has dried, in the opposite direction of the first. Just make sure that on the first coat you have everything covered with the Redgard.

Bucho
02-01-2007, 12:53 AM
It seems so terribly hard to roll on properly. (even coating is virtually non-existent)

I had a hell of a time getting everything covered on pass #1. Also, I ran out with 1 wall half finished. Hope this is not a problem...

muskymike
02-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Not a problem. What size roller sleeve are you using? Are you working out of a five gallon bucket?

Bucho
02-01-2007, 01:02 AM
3/4" nap, just like the instructions recommend. We are working out of a paint pan, not a bucket...

It's just that it goes on thick and "tears" off, leaving a wavy finish. I would have expected it to be smoother, but the redgard is already as thick as drywall compound.

Thanks for your replies.

muskymike
02-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Try putting it into a five, and when you dip the roller in, shake off some of the excess and don't push hard on the roller when you get it on the wall, let the roller roll. Once you get it to roll, smooth out the Redgard.

Bucho
02-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Why a five gallon bucket? :think:

I don't doubt you, but I'm not sure that I understand. I'm buying one gallon at a time. I could understand dipping, if the goal was to evenly coat the roller. Please elaborate. :)

Thank you.

muskymike
02-01-2007, 08:06 AM
I think it's easier to work outta a five than a paint pan. Plus you can get the whole roller covered with the Redgard where in the pan you prolly aren't getting alot on the roller or getting it uneven.

SteveG91
02-01-2007, 09:53 AM
I've worked out of the 1 gallon bucket it comes in using a 3" roller, very easy.