Throw Away That Grout Bag!!! There is a better way. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Throw Away That Grout Bag!!! There is a better way.

donmei
01-30-2007, 07:47 AM
First some background.
I'm a homeowner. I've worked as a carpenter when I was in college and am pretty handy. I've put down about 5 tile floors in the last 4 years. I'd say I know just enought to be dangerous.

Most of my jobs I'd give a B- when all is said and done.

So my wife decided that we were going to do a Versailles "random" pattern in our kitchen with natural slate.

Great - can it get more difficult. Well, yes.
We decided on Spectralock Pro grout. After mixing it to spec, it was so thick in the grout bag, that I had a really difficult time getting it out.

Hmm. Its pretty rough slate so I didn't just want to start dragging epoxy grout around with a float. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

So I thought, then I slept, then I thought.

I went down to the hardware store and bought a $2 tube of Phenoseal. Epmtied the caulk out of it, filled it with grout and used my caulk gun to pump grout into the grout lines. The mechanical advantage the gun gives made it very very easy

IT WORKED GREAT.

phenoseal is a good choice as a donor tube because the tube is plastic and very durable, also it is a latex product so the tube can be cleaned out with water.

Only problem is the 1# tubes are not as wide as a margin trowel and its a pain to fill them.

I'm stopping at lowes tonight to see if I can find a 5# caulk tube "donor" that is cheap, latex, and has a plastic tube. Using a large sized tube, this would be an awesome system.

Thoughts??

Don

Sponsored Links

ForeEyes
01-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi Don-

How about cutting the hole in the grout bag much bigger and filling the tube with that? I mean you have the bag laying around, might as well get some use out of it as a funnel. :)

-Scott

Westie
01-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Do a google search for "fillable caulk tubes" and you will find sources for empty tubes.

Hamilton
01-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi Don
Thats a great trick, in fact i use it when i grout difficult to spread
decorative tiles. I have found that any old regular caulking tube
works great. To get the cap out of the tube i put the skinny tip up
to a hose nozel and give it a full blast of water and the cap pops
out the back :cool: Clean up the inside of the tube and fill with
grout, put the cap back in and you're ready for business. :yeah:

eagle670
01-30-2007, 10:52 AM
I have been using this type of system for applying grout as well. I thought that I would include the link for the discussions that we have had on this very subject. I will only add that using a pnumatic gun is the best way to go and if you can get by with unsanded grout, it really flows much better. I was using the pre-mixed stuff, but the cleanup is brutal. One other thing is that if you let the grout line setup for about 30 minutes you can just brush off the excess.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43493

donmei
01-30-2007, 01:06 PM
what most amazed me was that a consistency that was VERY dificult to push out a grout bag was very EASY to get out of a caulk tube.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion to use the grout bag as a funnel. Except the wife already threw it away.

I'll google fillable caulk tubes. I was only able to find systems that already had a gun with them, so this other search may help. I've already got one of those nice english cast aluminum orange caulk guns so I'm just looking for the tube.

Actually I really wan to finish the grouting tonight, so I'm going to lowes hopeing to find a large phenoseal tube.

Re pushing the cup back. I ended up using a flexible drill bit thats used for roughing in cable tv and phone wire. It has a 1/4 in shaft thats about 24in long. It worked nicely.

trbinrat
01-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Go to mcmaster-carr.

On page 3315 about half way down you will find the tubes that will fit calking guns. $30 for ten of them. nozzles are extra.

Brian in San Diego
01-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Don,

I don't want to ask you to do extra work, but it may be beneficial to many if you posted your experience on the Spectralock thread. It was started by another Don and if you check it out there have many views of that thread. Perhaps you could cut and paste your posts on your thread onto that thread. http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35153

Brian

rktect
01-31-2007, 09:07 AM
The Tile Shop sells empty caulk tubes for grouting.