Mastic or thinset questi [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Mastic or thinset questi

jtek
01-16-2007, 01:39 PM
I will be putting 8X10 ceramic tiles over drywall on my bathroom walls this weekend. (no moisture problems) I am leaning toward mastic because this is only my second project and I am told it is easier to use and tiles stick better. Is this true? My second question is will mastic dry correctly under this size tile? Any tips would be appreciated.

Jim

Sponsored Links

JTG
01-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Jim
You have heard correctly. Mastic and large tile just don't go together even in dry area. Go ahead and bit the bullet and use a modified thin set mortar. The ease of use is only in the added extra step of mixing the mortar and that is not difficult. You can do it.
Good Luck
JTG

prashster
01-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm a diyer that has used mastic and thinset.

The only thing 'hard' about thinset is figuring out the right consistency. You can mix it up in small batches (1 pt) sizes until you get confident. If it were me, I'd ignore the mixing instrucs on the package (if yr using Versabond or an unmodified like Laticrete 317), and I'd just mix until the trowel stands up by itself and just north of 'slides-off-the-trowel'. If the ridges stand up on their own when you comb it, you're on the money.

This being said, a tad too stiff or a tad too runny isn't gonna kill yr install. IMHO it's very easy to work with.

Forry
01-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Are the walls already painted?

Thin-set and bare shrock don't get along too well.

jgleason
01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Thin-set and bare shrock don't get along too well.

Bare sheetrock shouldn't be a problem for thinset at all. At least that's what I remember from all the pros on here recommending.

Forry
01-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Huh.

jgleason
01-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Forry - Unless I misunderstood you, you were saying that using thinset on unpainted drywall isn't a good idea as they "don't get along too well". My recollection is that thinset is just fine on bare or unpainted sheetrock. Please correct me if I'm wrong and how you prepare your sheetrock surface to make it acceptable to install tile using thinset.

Forry
01-16-2007, 02:50 PM
My "huh" was 'cause I wasn't sure where my thinking was coming from ans I could be wrong... But I seem to remember reading application info on mortar bags and understanding that surfaces are to be primed for thinset application.
I'm not sure what the industry standard is but I don't like the idea of joint compound getting wet while troweling, and usually seal the surface with a high quality primer (I prefer benjamin moore fresh start)
Do I have this wrong?

jgleason
01-16-2007, 02:55 PM
:scratch: Don't know if you've got it right and I've got it wrong or I've got it right and you've got it wrong. :D Hopefully some other folks that do this all the time will know for sure. I do remember doing my shower (with Kerdi) and I combed the thinset right on to the unpainted/unprimed sheetrock. Seems to have worked and can't recall being told to prime it first. Must be getting old :gerg: Can't remember as well as I used to. :D

ddmoit
01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
My recollection is leave sheetrock bare if you can when using thinset. I'm sure a pro will set us all straight.

With a really good thinset, it probably doesn't matter that much anyway.

John Bridge
01-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Don't want to cause a stir, but I've used thin set over bare sheetrock for years. Over joint compound, too. I think you're thinking of something else, Forry. Have another brewskie. :D

Forry
01-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks John..
Glad to have it cleared up, and I think I will....