How to keep hair out of the *square* Kerdi Drain [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How to keep hair out of the *square* Kerdi Drain

dcousins
01-08-2007, 10:49 PM
So I am finally able to enjoy my new kerdi shower but I am worried that I cannot sufficiently cover my drain to keep my hair out. I used to use one of those round hair collectors but they do not cover the square drain. Any idea about where I can find a square hair collector? thanks.

Sponsored Links

doitright
01-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Hi Deborah :)

Just get one of those plastic bubbles for your head! :yeah:

Seriously, try your local hardware store. I've never seen anything square, but I have seen some giant round ones.

JTG
01-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Deb
You have hit on my pet pev regarding a Kerdi drain. When I stated using them they came with a little top hat shapped strainer that fit in there under the grate. It would catch hair etc. A few years ago they stopped using them :shrug: You drop a wedding ring in there now and it is in the trap or worse. I have gotten a fine screen mesh and cut circles to put in under the grate for folks who were concerned. The grate comes off and goes back on easy. The screws are made to not come all the way out so that prevents them from going down the drain also which happens ofter when grates are removed.
good Luck
JTG

vanwassup
01-09-2007, 12:18 PM
It might be too late for you, but I put in a p-trap that has a clean-out attachment. I just plan on using that to clean out the hair.

dcousins
01-09-2007, 12:46 PM
thanks, i am going to look into buying a screen and cut holes for the screws as suggested. thanks!

JTG
01-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Deb
You don't have to make it that complicated. Just take out the screws, lift off the grate and drop a piece of screen cut in a circle big enough to set on the top of the drain there is a pretty big ridge there to support it.
JTG

knewt
02-02-2007, 07:19 AM
So glad to see that someone asked this. I've been worried about it. The screen under the drain plate idea isn't very workable for me - I'd have to be unscrewing them every day. While I have short hair, I have LOTS of it and there is always a hair wreath to clean out of my current trap after every shower.

Brenda

knewt
02-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Actually, I just mentioned this to my contractor who suggested replacing the screws with thin rare earth magnets.

flatfloor
02-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I passed everybody's comments along to Schluter. :)

knewt
02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Hey, if they make a prototype with rare earth magnets, I'm totally willing to be the guinea pig!

flatfloor
02-02-2007, 05:27 PM
I received a reply from Schluter. Here is what they said;

Thank you for passing this information to us. The customer can contact us directly and we will be pleased to ship a KERDI-DRAIN strainer at no charge.

We originally discontinued this piece from the drain because most customers were advising us that they were not requiring it (some felt that it was a bit of trouble to unscrew the grate in order to clean the trap). We do have a low inventory of these for requests such as this one.

Contact Marty Lynch at: 1-800-472-4588, or simply email him with the request with shipping address to: mlynch@schluter.com

Marty added

Just a note that the strainer that Chantal mentioned, is only compatible with a KERDI-DRAIN with a stainless steel grate. The crosshair support section of the anodized aluminum grates, make the strainer incompatible.

knewt
02-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Wow, the power you guys have! Thanks! :tup2: Luckily, I do have the stainless steel drain.