Grout - uneven color [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout - uneven color

steidla
01-02-2007, 11:37 AM
I grouted my kitchen floor last night (13x13 porcelain tiles), and everything seemed to be going alright. When I got up this morning, the grout seemed to be all different shades. The grout is light brown, and there were areas of different light browns and dark browns, and even a couple areas where it looked kind of white.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I am worried!

Sponsored Links

dl
01-02-2007, 12:25 PM
It may be that your batches weren't mixed the same, but give it a few days before you get worried - some grouts dry unevenly at first then eventually even out.

- DL

jonka
01-03-2007, 12:34 AM
I have been setting tile for about 5 yrs now and it seems that about every 3rd job or so I have the same problem with grout discoloration. I have switched to a latex admix and had better results (most of the time) but I have tried everything to remedy this problem. All batches are measured consistantly. I usually wait 45min - 1 hr before cleaning. I clean parallel to the joint not diagonally as after an hour diagonally doesnt clean. Sponge is as dry as possible. The only thing I dont do is cover the floor and mist with water for 2 days. But who does that anymore?

Its discouraging to see a nice tile job ruined by uneven grout color.

in2tile
01-03-2007, 09:35 PM
i feel your pain, just finished 2 jobs with same results!!
plus countlesss other times ive had grout problems,
if i hear one more tip on how dry my sponge should be or if i slaked grout properly,or did i damp cure,,bla bla bla..
all i know is ever since porcelain tile came about,thats when my problems came about.
how in the hell else can you clean off residue from these pitted.rustic,chisled.chainsawed whatever ya wanna call em tiles.
sorry for venting, had real bad day, and this just set me off.
i believe one magor problem is porcelains impervious nature,
grout wont fire off quick enough ,and with much needed damp scrubbing,
polimars are swept away,moisture content remains too high,etc etc etc.
also any time i grout a job with temp below 50deg, or its under damp base ment, or crawl space,grout drys 10 sahades lighter.!!!!
yeah i know,, efferloveces efferverse f in vesense [yeah,thats how its spelled!!] occurs, but when it happens to me ,i cant ever get it to correct
i try vinegar...........nope/ try sulfamic acid..................no that didnt work
try boilled linseed oil na not working............................. even tried
oil base enhancing sealer once,still no good, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
THANKS FOR YOUR EARS, ITS 10:30 PM im going to bed.and yes i read d gobis article on grout magic, followed to the tee,,still have spotty results. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Scottish Tile and Stone
01-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Dont think I have ever had a grout discoloration problem. I could have just nothing comes to mind. Grout will dry differently. It should even out. You could of overwashed or you have some thinset wicking up through giving it the uneven look.

In2tile. In the future if the tile has alot of pits and pores, use a grout release. I sometime use a grout release in my final rinse.

puechini
01-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I have used a slate like tile for my accent tile in the shower. I put a grout release on the tiles first, but there is still a fair amount of grout in the pits of the tile. Can I still use a grout release (penetrating sealer) on the tiles after it has been grouted? How long is too long to wait?

in2tile
01-03-2007, 10:11 PM
scott,
thanks for input,
cant believe you dont ever have shadding problems. ill try grout release,
ill try anything, but i wont use customs haystack ever of any custom blend grout for that matter. i have less problems with tec accu color. last job i did
HO supplied grout,and parchment dried silver,haystack tried parchment, and lt smoke dried.gray smoke. :scratch: what grief i went through.
im going to look for new alternatives this yr 2007,
maybe its time to give in to the spectra loc thing....cant wait for the experiences i'll experience with that.

Scottish Tile and Stone
01-03-2007, 10:14 PM
I may have had shading problems, but never had a call back. Who knows. I have used alot of customs haystack with good results.

Scottish Tile and Stone
01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
A penetrating sealer isnt the same as a grout release. Grout releases dont seal the tile. They just make the grout come off easier. Put a bit of grout release in some water, and give the tiles a good washing. Might have to use a white scrubby sponge.

greg petre
01-03-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm glad this thread popped up. I've just had two installs that gave me problems with inconsistent grout coloration. One was a slate tile and the other a porcelain install. The porcelain tile was grouted with Mapei's KeraColor (i think it is called). Anyhow I followed all the directions, yada, yada yada.... drymixed, slaked, blah blah blah. Color was Terracotta.....some of it looks light pink and other spots are dark earthy clay tones. Don't know what to say, or how to make sense of this. Is anyone out there standing by 'the best line of grout' in existence??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Greg

jonka
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
I think this is a excellent forum. I know that great knowledge can be aquired here but I think this is one of my biggest questions since I have been setting tile and I cannot find a thread that addresses this issue. If anyone can direct me to a place that will help with the "discoloration of grout" problem i would greatly appreciate it.

Lazarus
01-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Just a thought, but if you have "batched" areas where color is different, you want to bear in mind that most grout has color pigment mixed in. If you don't mix a whole bag, you might get more or less of the pigment in different mixes. Ever grout and find what looks like a smear of "lipstick" across a tile? That's pigment.

jonka
01-04-2007, 01:07 AM
i always dry mix my grout before i add liquid to it no matter what the quantitiy. i then add either water or admix to the exact ratio of dry grout that i intend to make. usually its about 2qts of liquid to 25 lbs of grout. ratios of liquid to grout are always kept consistant from batch to batch. i dont know what you mean by "lipstick" smear Lazarus, but i am guessing i have seen it on some of my tile jobs.

in2tile
01-04-2007, 06:27 AM
I am glad im not the only one, never used kera color [was going to try that,oh well]. used to use company called ''super tec'' they were so bad , i got my supply house convinced on TEC brand products, they have matching caulks in all colors,problem is caulks dry darker than grout in most applications. only colors i never have problems are white and gray.
and also teal,cause i never use that color!
ps [ do love this forum though.]

Maack
01-04-2007, 06:46 AM
yup.. same thing with Tec caulk here, stuff dries a diff color, very annoying!!

Tec makes excellant products, just the caulk problems are pesty.

nforcer2
01-04-2007, 02:02 PM
use spectralock and all your color problems go away :)

MudMaker
01-04-2007, 04:55 PM
I use Custom's PolyBlend and usually don't have any problems..

Lazarus
01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Some of the polyblend colours tend to vary, for me at least. I like the Mapai. The colours are consistant and they are pretty "spot on" to their chart.