Laundry tub advice [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Laundry tub advice

mkrosen
12-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Guidance please! We're replacing a 1950's composite laundry tub; has a steel rim, real sturdy; they're all just plastic now. Confused by the price points vs. descriptions. We want something that will not crack/chip when tools are dropped or banged against it. The big box stores carry expensive tubs that are already busted on the shelf. I'm finding cheaper ones that appear better. All say "preferred by Pro's" - what do the pro's say? A local store carries Thermoplastic, could order a Durastone product. Steel legs are a must... Any recommendations? Many thanks! :usflag:

Sponsored Links

Maack
12-17-2006, 02:39 PM
call a REGULAR plumbing supply outlet,
ask them that question, they will sell you the right tub for what you want.

**Preferred by pros**** is a joke, a slogan dreamed up by marketing people to give the unknowing buyer some semblence of confidence. :usflag:

MHI
12-17-2006, 08:17 PM
There are no really good laundry tubs anymore. I like the durastone the best, made by E.L. Mustee. Steel legs? How about no legs, get the wall mount type. Its strong, even mounted on cinderblock walls. I have filled them up to the top with water, and then lean on the front edge to test them. No legs to take up floor space, and no wiggling either.

They make a cabinet version also, looks like the washing machine.:)

mkrosen
12-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys!

I was at Mustee's site yesterday. The mid-range Thermo says "virtually indestructable" but it's $40 cheaper than the broken junk I saw, which made me wonder out loud to you all... Ace carries the Mustee so I'll have them order me up a Durastone if they will.

I'd rather not drill into my foundation to wall mount (I don't want to push my luck around here). But what you said Matt is encouraging. I shy away from the cabinets which I 'spect will swell eventually, unless it's really REAL wood. None such thing these days I guess. I wonder what my kids will be getting in 20 years. Saran-stone? Ha! ;)

Thanks again!

MHI
12-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Its a metal cabinet, it looks sort of retro. Like I said, similar to the washing machine in looks.:)