tile shelf [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile shelf

racerettte
05-28-2001, 08:41 PM
Hi, John and Co.!
I was hoping you could take a peek at my website again (in my profile) and let me know what you think of my progress so far. I would just feel better if it had your personal stamp of approval.
Another thing though...the shelf. As you will see, I ended up using the leftover Chloroloy to line it....and what at the time seemed like such a bright idea....now (possibly) doesn't seem so bright. Anyway, my question is, obviously, was that a bad idea? I am worried how I am going to make tiles stick to that liner....Do you think the thinset will hold it or am I screwed?
Thanks,
Daisey

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
05-29-2001, 05:51 AM
Hi Daisey

I don't think there is any way to get thinset to stick to the Chloraloy in the shelf area. You could fill the area in with cement board and then paint on a waterproof membrane, but you would have to buy a lot more of the stuff than you would need.

I suggest using a pre-fabricated niche made by Bonsal. Check out the Proform products at http://www.bonsal.com.

Rob Z

John Bridge
05-29-2001, 06:17 AM
Hey Daisey,

So far your job looks GREAT! If you can't find or fit one of the niches Rob suggests into the hole, I would invest in another piece of Durock if you don't have enough scraps laying around.

If you slope the bottom about a quarter inch from back to front, you'll be fine. Tape all the joints. And you will, of course, be sealing your shower before you use it. And you will also, of course, completely dry the shower each time it's used.

I can't wait to see the finished product. That doesn't mean you should get in a hurry, though.

[Edited by Admin on 05-29-2001 at 08:20 AM]

chip
05-29-2001, 06:22 AM
Rob is correct, you won't be able to stick any thing to the chloraloy.

If this is a home project, the smallest container of water proof membrane will probably be 1 gallon, so you would have alot of waste.

Is this a shower installation? If so and you didn't pre-slope your shower pan before putting the chloraloy liner in place, you could use the trowelable water proof membrane over the top of your finished mud bed and prevent water from getting into the bed and having the mold and mildew problems associated with it.

Rob,

Thanks for the plug on the Pro-Form Niches, have you used one yet?

Bud Cline
05-29-2001, 12:21 PM
What is Chloraloy?

"See I'm going to mess around and learn something here again".

racerettte
05-29-2001, 02:26 PM
I can't seem to find anything on Bonsal website that pertains to what Rob is talking about. What is the piece called?
John...I don't have any scrap pieces of durock left, but I will have some after the hardibacker is layed on the bathroom floor. Can I use that instead? And would I just be taping a box together and sticking it in there? Sorry....I'm confused.
And thanks for the supportive words!

--Daisey

Bud Cline
05-29-2001, 02:46 PM
racerette,

For Bonsal's "niches" go to: fttp://www.bonsal.com/proform5.htm and then keep clicking on "next" to view all niche offerings. One of these little guys just might work for you from what I've seen at your site. :)

John Bridge
05-29-2001, 04:52 PM
Art,

Go to Daisey's web site (listed on her profile) Click the link that says "What I'm Doing." You'll see progress pictures of her shower.

Daisey,

The Hardie will work fine. You cut the pieces and nail them into the framing, right through the pan material (chloraloy). Then tape everything up after all the pieces are in. Put the back piece in first -- then the sides, top and bottom. Remember to shim and tilt the bottom piece outward into the shower.

But maybe you'll find a "niche" that will fit.

Bud,

Chloraloy is another brand of vinyl shower pan material.

chip
05-29-2001, 04:55 PM
Chloraloy is a proprietary product made by the Noble co.

It is their answer to a PVC shower pan liner. 40mil thick.

Bud Cline
05-29-2001, 07:50 PM
So is that the gray 40 mil? Or does color mean nothing? I think I prefer blue!

chip
05-29-2001, 08:57 PM
Hey, great job on the shower, you should be proud of yourself.

racerettte
05-29-2001, 10:17 PM
John,
So when you say to nail right thru the liner, don't I have to worry about water going thru the cement board and liner onto the wood framing? Or am I being overly paranoid? I am just so afraid of having to rip this thing apart in the future because I overlooked something.

Bud-yes, that's the gray 40 mil.

Thanks for everybody's input and compliments. I am sure to be back with more questions!

--Daisey

John Bridge
05-30-2001, 03:55 PM
Daisey,

Yes, nail right through the whatever pan material it is. Rob Z. mentioned that you can waterproof the area after you've installed the backer and tape. I'll let him explain how to do the waterproofing. Or maybe one of the other guys will explain it to you. (On mud jobs we don't even worry about it, but mud doesn't draw up the moisture like backer board apparently does.)

Then you tile with thin set right over the waterproofing.

Rob Z
05-30-2001, 07:34 PM
Hi Daisey

If we haven't confused you yet, and you want to use the waterproofing method, let us know which brand is available in your area. We'll help you do it.

Did you find a source of Bonsal niches in your area?

Rob

racerettte
05-31-2001, 12:26 AM
Thanks, Bud. I have to admit that after all that...I WAS confused.
I didn't find a niche in my area. I don't believe any of the ones on that site will fit my target area. Looks like I'll have to go the hardi route. So....the waterproofing membrane doesn't come in small packages??

--Daisey

chip
05-31-2001, 03:59 AM
if you have 16" on center studs, any of the Pro-Form Niches will fit.
If you can't find any one in your area who will bring them in for you, call 1-800-738-1438 ext.115 and ask for Bonnie johnson, she will bill and ship one to you.

Water proof membrane, should be available in 1 gal. units. Apply it liberally, to any area that you have any concerns about.

If memory serves, and it's been a long time since it has, you are in California.

I know you will be able to buy Hydroment Ultra set in 1 gals., unfortunately you open the can, and use it all or lose what you don't use. It sets up in the can after opening. Also the tool you use, plan on throwing it away, it will be almost impossible to clean.

Good-luck.

[Edited by flatile on 05-31-2001 at 06:03 AM]

Rob Z
05-31-2001, 05:33 AM
Hi Daisey

I do think one of the the Bonsal niche is the way to go. It will be less to buy it direct and pay freight than buying a one gallon unit of whichever brand is available. I buy six gallon containers (for economy) of the two brand I use.

With a grinder/diamond cutting blade and a sawzall, you will be able to enlarge your opening and screw in blocking as needed to accomodate the Bonsal niche rough in dimensions.

Be sure to order a tube of the caulk grade sealant that Bonsal has to seal the edges of the niche.

Rob Z