Tile size and room size, is there a relationship? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile size and room size, is there a relationship?

ThomasW
12-11-2002, 03:05 PM
This maybe a silly question, but can the size of the tile used help make a room look bigger or smaller? Is there a rule of thumb about this?

Thanks for any assistance

Regards
Thomas

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
12-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Professional Decorators think there is something to this theory and you should get some input from one of those professionals.

We used to have two decorators around here at one time, maybe John could round them up and get their input.:)

K_Tile
12-11-2002, 04:40 PM
I believe that when you use larger tiles in smaller spaces it makes the room fell bigger. Reason being you have less noticable grout lines that don't make up a visible pattern. If you have a 10' x 10' room with 6" tile you will have very noticable grout lines making a pattern. That same room with 16" tile will have less grout joints and more tile surface making it fell less busy.

If larger tile are used dont get fancy with diamond or pattern layouts, the end result is never achieved unless the room is a wide open box.

John Bridge
12-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Hi Thomas,

I've never understood the thinking. I've put large tiles in small rooms and smaller tiles in large rooms (not lately, though). Nowadays, most tiles are large.

Our decorators left us because, believe it or not, they didn't recieve many questions.

You might check with Susan over at the Decorating Studio.

http://www.decoratingstudio.com/

ThomasW
12-11-2002, 09:14 PM
Hi John

Thanks for the llink. I just did a very small full bath and used 12" squares on the floor, it seemed to make the room look/ feel larger.

Next is a 300 sq ft room so I'm trying to figure out if there is a 'proper' size tile to use...

Regards
Thomas

ArtKilinski
12-12-2002, 12:40 AM
Being a graphic designer, I can possibly offer some opinions on sizing things and room relationships.

The size, color, pattern, texture, etc of a tile can affect the feeling of a room. That is, all of the above can make a room feel large, small, elegant, cluttered, etc. I don't believe in finite statements like "all large tile will make small rooms feel small" because that's just not always the case, plain and simple.

I used 8x8 tiles at a 45 degree angle and a 3x6 tile for border in two 5x6 foot bathrooms. Anything larger at a diagonal would have awkward cuts due to the vanity placement and walls.

Bottom line...there's no set answer. Ask yourself first what would you like to accomplish and buy tiles and plan the layout in a manner that would solve that problem. I know, I know, easier said than done...

Sparky
12-20-2002, 08:47 PM
Hi, I just discovered this nice tool at the florida tile web site.

Among others, there are 2 Bathroom scenes, and 2 Kitchen scenes.

You download their software ( you have to register your name,
and email address first ), but once you've got it loaded --
it is fast.

On Bathroom number one, I chose a design with 4 different types
of tile, and it lets you cllick on several choices for each one,
and lets you specify the grout color too.

Wow, Bathroom # 2 includes a design with 8 different kinds of tile !!!

http://www.floridatile.com/Virtual%20Design%20Center.htm:D

dswallow
12-21-2002, 02:05 AM
Nice tool, but ugly tile choices. :(

Sparky
12-26-2002, 02:21 PM
dswallow,

Please try it again, and this time use the scroll bar
( just to the right of the 2 by 2 matrix of tiles )
to go down through *all* the choices of tile.

You probably saw only the top 4 tile selections.

The one I just checked ( bathroom number 2, style #6 ) had:
32 different options for tile # 1 and
43 different choices for tile # 2 etc.

And that's not counting the list of 3 "Favorites"
that you can click on at the top left on the tile design screen.

http://www.floridatile.com/Virtual%...gn%20Center.htm ;)