Another roman tub [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Another roman tub

Conan
12-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi -

New here, thanks for a good site. I've searched for this question but didn't find an answer.

I'm having a combo tiled tub/shower or "roman tub" built in TX. Dimensions are about 34" wide tub, 55" long, 14" deep with a 16" seat at one end flush with the dam. It's on a slab. The tub area framing is covered with 3/4" treated plywood to about 6" above the overflow. The contractor wants to lay fiberglass for the membrane over the slab, up the plywood walls, on the seat and down the dam some. He's planning to mud the floor to get the slope right. Then he wants to use 1/2" hardi on the walls and all the way down to the mudded floor and thinset the tile in place (simple 4x4 ceramic).

My question is can the hardi be used below the waterline, i.e., on the tub walls?

If so, the hardi there cannot be screwed thru the membrane. So, is an adhesive (thinset or more epoxy?) sufficient to hold it in place?

Finally, the drain. Does the two piece Oatey roman tub drain sandwich the membrane?

I had one of the built to great effect in California. That one was hot mopped and completely mudded. The glass tiles never cracked. I was not there long enough to see any problems with slow leaks or seeps. It was on pier and beam foundation, heavily strengthened.

Thanks,
Conan

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
12-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi Conan, :)

Doesn't sound good to me. I think it should be either entirely mudded (using lath), or you should mud and shape everything and then go with a membrane system. Kerdi would be a good one. :)

Conan
12-07-2006, 07:14 PM
What in particular doesn't sound good? Is the fiberglass barrier a problem? Is there a specific problem with Hardi on the tub walls below the water line, like delaminating or something?