sound proof pergo under tile??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : sound proof pergo under tile???

manny
08-31-2001, 11:54 PM
I'm thinking of installing a pergo sound proof
barrier do you think that will work with tile in a livinroom??
should I install it or not ???
this is because a loud noise when people walk

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
09-01-2001, 07:16 AM
Hi Manny

I am not familiar with Pergo soundproofing products, and don't know if they are compatible with ceramic tile.

The Noble Company makes a sound control membrane specifically for use under tile.. Their website is:

http://www.noblecompany.com

Rob

Bud Cline
09-01-2001, 10:54 AM
Are you talking about that grey paper sound board? No it won't work.

Hey Art......here's your chance to sell some cork.

[Edited by Bud Cline on 09-02-2001 at 12:28 AM]

JC
09-01-2001, 10:24 PM
Maybe talking about a dense thick rubber laminate underlayment? Thats what we used for sound proofing laminates.

No it won't work you need something made for ceramic.

manny M
09-03-2001, 12:28 AM
thanks everybody
As JC mentioned is the pergo laminate and yes is a thick rubber I just want to install something for that noise
someone said that installing solid mass prevents sound,,
like more plywood or something else...

Could you please explain me a little more about expansion joints o if you have a good link where I can get that information... it's 1/4 inch away from the walls and caulking enough????

thanks again
Bud , JC and ROB

Rob Z
09-03-2001, 07:00 AM
Hi Manny

I don't know of a link where you could read about expansion joints. Leaving a gap at the walls of a 1/4" would be fine, filled with sealant if left uncovered. Or, you could cover the gap with base molding.

How long is the biggest dimension of your installation? Is any part of it under direct sunlight? What is your substrate? The answers to these Q's will determine what addaitional expansion joints may be needed.

Rob

manny
09-03-2001, 11:57 PM
biggest W 12' * 20'L the livingroom
and a kitchen W 7' * 20'L
divided by a 10'wall on the 20'L
direct sunligth only where a window is
I Have 3/4 diagonal 1*6 subfloor
I nailed 1\2 inch plywood every 4 inches on center to the joist
And planing to install 1\4 or 1\2 inch backerboard (it's like cardboard material not cement)

Rob Z
09-04-2001, 06:16 AM
Hi Manny

Expansion joints across the field of tile may not be needed. I say "may not" because we don't know how direct and hot that sun is coming through the window. If you have cutains up it should be okay. Leaving the gap around the wall is good enough.

1/2" plywood under backer board is not enough. I know the diagonal 1 x 6's are under the plywood, but the problem with them is that in places they can warp or sag between the joists, and don't give any support to the 1/2" plywood. The result in places is a floor with inadequate support.

We should have asked you...what are the joists underneath: size, span, spacing?

Does the floor feel very sold right now with the 1/2" plywood on it?

Rob

Manny
09-04-2001, 09:11 PM
<CENTER>

About the subfloor I change some of the boards
re-nailed the 1*6 and add some screws
the floor now feels solid
size of the floor joists are 2*10 16 oc
span I think they are like 12 feet long

sorry to bother you again MR Rob
you are my maestro
I will follow all your advice

about the sun I don't think It will have direct sun ligth
because of the curtains as you mention

Rob Z
09-05-2001, 04:58 AM
Hi Manny

The joist situation is a good one.

If you're sure that the 1x6 are screwed or fastened tightly to the plywood, you are likely going to be okay with this as a substrate for the hardibacker (I guess that's what you are going to use by the description).

Get some screws into the field of the plywood, between the joists, every 8" o.c. As big as your room is, if you rent an auto feed screw gun you will be glad.

What kind of tile and setting material are you going to use?

Rob

Manny M
09-06-2001, 12:30 AM
well about the tile,,, the owner is not sure yet
but I think it is going to be 12" * 12" up to 1\2" thick
or maybe the saltillo tile I don't know yet

yes I'm using the hardibacker I was thinking of 1\4 inch hardibacker but now I'll do it with 1\2 "
is the wonderboard ok ???

setting material ..... I read all about it on one link that Mr John bridge post and I read a lot of what you guys write
on this forum and now I know that using the thin set and add some latex additive that goes with it and use no water
well it seems I have to go back and read it again

The other part of the project is the shower
I just have one Question how the wood for the shower step goes I did this gif file could you check it out please and it's a 28 shower area ok not including the step???

http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0JQBFVN8Lb9By3G5VYj7ieDCNsBpth2I8gFn2tKY8U7t61Cxx0cDUFD0NqRpgdPl7/.gif

I'm spending all nights reading so I'll do a good job

in other jobs I used on the floor
roofing paper
plywood,
roofing paper
wonderboard
thinset
tile
....and on the tub tile
green board
roofing paper
wonderboard
thinset
tile

thank you ROB ո

Rob Z
09-06-2001, 05:13 PM
Hi Manny

I would frame the curb with 3 2 x 4 's on top of each other.

Go to http://www.custombuildingproducts.com and read their specs for the installation of wonderboard on floors and walls. I would not advise you to install any more wonderboard the way you described.

As for setting material for the saltillo--I've never set that kind of tile, but i've been told that some guys mix sand and cement to make the setting material. That would save considerable money over the cost of pre packaged thinset.

John is the Saltillo King. Let's let him weigh in on this one.

Rob

Manny M
09-08-2001, 12:16 AM
I wont install tile that way

well I'm not a tile guy
what I do is to prepare everything for the tile guy
I do all plumbing , Fixtures and prepare wall for tile
but this time I'll do the tile and I want it do it
rigth I've never done a shower this is my first time
I did'nt know that the tile cracks the very next day you install it
and I like to learn all about construccion
I'll keep reading and learning

JC
09-08-2001, 09:12 AM
Manny, Be nice to your tile guy and read up on all the info on this subject. Prep work is EVERYTHING in this business.

Manny M
09-09-2001, 01:50 AM
Hi everybody
please forgiveme if I sound rude on my sentences I know my english is not that good

Hi Jc my friend the tile guy is a nice guy
I think that both of us need some learning