Omnigrip adhesive problems [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Omnigrip adhesive problems

kaytamngo
11-15-2006, 11:47 PM
We have the same problem as JenPt. We have new exterior grade plywood sub floor of 1-1/4". After 4 days of drying the tile is springy when you step on it. We have remove one tile to see how hard the adhesive bonds is to the wood, and found that the adhesive is easily remove with a little hot water and some scrubing, the adhesive is not dry at all. Reading your posting, we are afraid to grout and is thinking of removing the adhesive and use the traditional thin set from a bag and not from (crap ) bucket.

Sponsored Links

jdm
11-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Kay --

While tiling directly to plywood is possible, it is a task that is fraught with the risk of failure at every turn. You would be much better off installling either a cement backerboard or a membrane under your tile. Consider using one of these if you remove and re-install your tile.

Tool Guy - Kg
11-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Welcome Kay!

Sorry to hear your problems. Jeff has some great advice using a tile substrate that is much more suitable than plywood. I'd spend the time cleaning the tiles and lay them once again. :( But not over plywood.

I split this off from the other thread so you can continue this discussion w/o anyone getting confused between the two projects. :)

tilelayer
11-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Omnigrip is the mastic you buy at depot with the green lid and its 40 bucks a bucket, you could get better thinset like versabond for 13 bux a bag. Mastics bad especially on floors.....

You could clean it up and get unmodified thinset and mix it with the latex addditive then you could tile on plywood or get higly modified thinset like superflex. Or best thing is to throw down some cbu.

JenPT
11-21-2006, 10:28 AM
We are actually seeking legal advice about this because we feel it is falsely advertised on the bucket. It does say that it will adhere to resilient flooring and wood. We are so disgusted with the whole thing. Anyway, the manufacturer has offered to refund our money on the cost of the adhesive but there is much more involved. We did tear up the entire floor. :crap:

When we took the floor up the tiles were still wet...and to be honest, we left some of them exposed to air (off the floor completely) and it too at least a week with full exposure to air to dry.

stullis
11-21-2006, 10:35 AM
what size are the tiles and are they ceramic or porcelain tiles?

LynnL
11-29-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm having the exact same problem. I used Omnigrip to lay 12"x12" tiles over a concrete basement floor. 4 days later still wet...

The bucket says that larger than 6"x6" tiles will require "extended drying time". Based on everyone elses experience "extended" could be an understatement.

sigh...

Meganmargt
09-24-2007, 02:03 PM
I just used this Omnigrip to place 12 x 12 procelain tiles in my kitchen. we even put down cement board before laying the tiles. we let the omnigrip dry for two days and then we grouted. the grout is now cracking around the tiles and we pulled up one of the tiles and the omnigrip is still completely wet, like icing on a cake. i called the manufacturer and spoke with a very unpleasant individual who basically tried to tell me it was my fault, but willing to reimb me if i fax him my receipts and give him my social security number, which i refused to do. my next stop is home depot.

Brian in San Diego
09-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Megan,

You like many before you have found that the "stuff" from a bucket is not thinset and does not perform as expected nor even as well as the manufacturers would lead you to believe. If you want some help in fixing your problem I would recommend you start a thread of your own and many people hereabouts will gladly help you along. I'm very sorry to hear of your problem, but know that there are many people here to help you out.

Brian

opiethetileman
09-24-2007, 04:47 PM
mastic is just plain out bad. yu could take the lid off and throw it in your pool and it would still be wet. do that with thinset and it will get sonner or later

Lazarus
09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm continually amazed that people will use a mastic product and invariably have their floor fail. Not their problem, I know. They are taking advice from some pimply-faced kid at HD. As Dave Gobis said, "There ain't no Tile Police," but I gotta say....there outta be! Look, I know it's easier to scoop something out of a tub as opposed to actually mixing it, but are we THAT lazy? Can a major corporation not take the time to factually inform people as to the proper usage of a very simple product? I think we ought to have a "Sticky" on the opening page saying "DON'T USE MASTIC!!!" (It might actually help someone coming to TYW to avoid this very common problem....)

Rd Tile
09-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Mastic has it's place, but not on floors or in showers, Omnigrip is garbage anyway, there are good ones out there.:)

BigCraig
09-24-2007, 08:14 PM
OMG don't start me again on this AcrylPro/Omni Grip SH)T, take the money Custom is offering and run, we did-they WILL prove you did it wrong, even thought there stuff is garbage, we tore ours out after a year and it was still wet.
Now almost done replacing the entire 600 sq ft using Flexbond, much happier.

tlm
01-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Hey everyone out there I used OG in several shower surrounds without a hitch.
However, beware of all thin sets they all have + and - features. They don't all work on all tile applications. The only thing you have to worry about with these premixed thin sets is the drying time. If you use OG you will be waiting 7 days min. for drying time. If you grout and seal before it sets your up the creek. P.S. read the label on customs website all the information you ever want to know about there products is their. Use a versabond or flexbond thin set on the floor. If you have a solid sub floor slap down some cement board. If you do it right manufactures such as custom will stand behind there products. Take any short cuts like not using thin set under the board and cement board screws well you loose. I have seen pics where someone got the great idea of using sheet rock screws. Kid you not I could see every screw through the translucent tile when they started to rust. Don't assume its your project read the labels to make sure the product is correct for your application.

jgleason
01-11-2010, 05:44 AM
Not exactly sure why you dragged up a thread that is a few years old. Not likely any of the original posters care much one way or the other any more eh?

ktgforce1
01-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Since this box store advise thing is such an issue, can't someone suggest to the TCNA that they send a memo of do's ad dont's to them At least for tile flooring in say: bathrooms and dry areas. Including floor prep and acceptable methods of installation?

jgleason
01-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Seriosuly Kris? And you think the box stores or any retailer cares that much to know exactly what every product they sell can do, how it should be used, how it shouldn't be used, etc?

Retail stores exist to sell product. They are not in business to educate the consumer on what product would work best for any given situation.

Caveat Emptor!

ktgforce1
01-11-2010, 06:52 AM
I hear you Joe. However, Let me ask you this: If you spoke to a district manager and said, "Hey, I read this online forum and as a professional Installer, I know your guys are giving consumers bad, money and time costing advise. Which may prohibit their future spending habits." "Would you like to do something about it?"
We know their answer is yes...

Look I don't know everything. I've been doing tile installs for a while and have had so many discussions with customers/homeowners saying HD told them this product is ok for their bathroom floor, this works over vinyl... blah blah.

I mean it's keeping me busy fixing homeowner stuff etc... but I feel terribly for them. Misguided ya know.

Bottom line is, I think in good contiense conceinse conshense (cant figure out how to spell it) someone otta create something for the big stores to educate employees.

Brian in San Diego
01-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Back before my time on this forum the forum owners offered some type of educational program to HD for their employees...HD didn't take them up on the offer.

To Bill, Glad to have you aboard. Stick around and browse this forum...lots of education lies within.