Will it last? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Will it last?

johnnymac
08-30-2001, 07:54 AM
Well, I'm almost done tiling the tub splash. 5 more courses to go on the far wall plus the leg, then it's on to grout. If you squint real hard when looking at it, the joints almost look straight. ;) I keep telling myself it will look fine after it's grouted.
Now I'm starting to worry and second guess myself. Did I use the correct amount of water to mix the thinset? Did I apply too much/too little thinset? Did I comb the ridges properly? Was I holding the trowel at the correct angle? I took some effort to pry the tiles off to check them. I took this as a good sign. They seemed to have about 90%- 100% coverage.
I have 2 questions: Is there a certain period of time after which if the tiles are still up there you know they are there to stay? Something like "If they haven't fallen off after a month, they aren't going to", or can they just start popping off at any time, say after a week, a month, a year? Can somebody please put my mind at ease?
2nd question: In John's book he mentions grouting in the fixtures. Does this mean I should use grout instead of thinset to adhere the fixtures or do I thinset them in and grout around them?

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
08-30-2001, 03:41 PM
The rule of thumb is if it doesn't fall down and hit you in the head, it's probably going to stay up there forever.

In the book we were using standard wall tiles (four-and-a-quarter), which are grouted with unsanded grout (dry wall grout). That type of grout will hold the semi-recessed fixtures in fine. It's just that it won't stick to the back of the fixture itself due to overglazing during manufacturing. For this reason we skim thin set on the back of the fixture and then gob the grout on it.

Push it in all the way, and then clean the excess grout from around it, leaving a nice thin and smooth grout joint all the way around.

It'll stay there forever, or at least as long as you tiles. :D

If you are using tiles that require sanded grout, I would thin set the fixture in and then either grout or caulk around the perimeter. When you thin set a fixture in you usually need to tape it up with masking tape until the thin set sets (overnight.)

That's for soap dishes and towel bar brackets. Corner shelves have to be installed as the tile goes up. They are locked in. Use thin set on them, and then just grout around them when you grout the tiles.

kalford
08-30-2001, 04:01 PM
I do it a little different John...same results though...a long lasting installation.

For ceramic soap dishes,corner shelves and towel racks I use 100% clear silicone.Put it on the wall and the back of the fixture then mash it into place.Tape it in place overnight with masking tape.It'd take a FORD truck to pull it off!!
I grout the walls but not the inside corners or fixtures.I "caulk" the inside corners and around the fixtures.Turns out perfect every time.

John Bridge
08-30-2001, 04:03 PM
This question is purely rhetorical. What's wrong with grout and thinset?

kalford
08-30-2001, 04:05 PM
nothin

kalford
08-30-2001, 04:08 PM
Johnnymac,
Calm down...have a beer.....just don't slam the door!!