Repair or redo.....that is the question. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Repair or redo.....that is the question.

CoveredinSawDust
11-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a possible remodel coming up and the lady asked me to give some advise on her bathroom. It has some nice looking tile on the walls except for some cracking. I told her I might be able to cannibalize some tiles from behind the vanity to fix the cracked tiles, but why the tiles are cracking is a concern and if the new tiles will just do the same. The majority of the tiles are in good shape and the decorative trim is something I know I canít replace which is why I suggested to try to do the spot repair. If things donít work out she is willing to do a complete rip out and re-tile. She does want to replace the floor as it seems to be an odd choice for color with the green tile.

Here are my questions.
1. Can I chalk up the cracking to the house settling and have some confidence that the fixes would last if done correctly?
2. Would you guys lean more toward the fix or redo?
3. Any suggestions on a tile for the floor that would look nice with the existing walls?

Thanks for any help. I have pictures cause I have read how much you guys like um.

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
11-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi Dennis,

She's already got 50+ years out of that bathroom...might be time for an update, eh?

Permanent solution is to address the cracks. How old are the cracks? Can you show us in the pics where it's cracking? :)

CoveredinSawDust
11-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the reply Tonto, or may I call you bubba?

Sorry the pics came out so small, I have some new ones hopefully they will show up bigger and I put a few red arrows to point out the cracks.

I don't know how old the cracks are, stupid me never asked that question.