removing cracked tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : removing cracked tile

Julie
08-29-2001, 03:09 PM
What's the best way to remove a cracked tile? I'm sure I'll need a grout saw - any particular brand better/easier? What's the best way to remove the mortar from under the tile? I've put tile down before, but have been luckly, until now that I've never had to replace one.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
08-29-2001, 03:31 PM
Julie,

Yep, you need a grout saw, maybe two how big is the tile? Remove all the grout around the tile then (wearing eye protection) use a hammer to remove the tile in question. I think the fastest and safest way (to surrounding tiles) is to just break the old tile out. Then sometimes a hard blade scraper or a paint scraper is all that is required to remove the thinset. But you'll have to work on it some. If worst comes to worst you may need a rub stone but they get pricy just for one tile.

Julie
08-29-2001, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Bud

I just have two 12 inch tiles (unfortunately not next to each other). This sounds like one of those tedious, yucky jobs, huh? Oh well, how hard can it be, right?

John Bridge
08-29-2001, 03:59 PM
Hi Julie,

Bud summed it up pretty nicely. I do have a little piece elsewhere on the site.

http://www.johnbridge.com/replacing_a_floor_tile.htm

Bud Cline
08-29-2001, 05:49 PM
Most of the grout removal tools offered in the marketplace are pretty cheap items. Two tiles may require even more of those little guys, they ware out quick.

Just be sure to get it (grout) out down to the bottom of the tile, stresses will be transmitted into adjacent tiles if you don't and those suckers will break in a hurry.

Rob Z
08-29-2001, 09:06 PM
Hi Julie

Bud and John have taken good care of you. Be sure to wear gloves and safety glasses. Shards of tile are like glass!

rob

Julie
08-29-2001, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll let you know tomorrow how it went. Keep your fingers crossed.

Julie
08-30-2001, 10:31 AM
Everything should be this easy! Removing the tiles were no problem. Thanks for the help