Making a 4" hole through brick. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Making a 4" hole through brick.

Verdeman
10-29-2006, 01:06 PM
What's the best way to make a 4 inch hole through brick to install a 3 inch laundry vent. Is a corded hammer drill powerful enough if a 4" carbide or diamond hole saw is used? If so, would you use the hammer drill mode or the regular drill mode?

Sponsored Links

pitterpat
10-29-2006, 01:10 PM
What is the size of the brick?

I would practice on a loose brick b/4 I would do the brick that is already in the wall. Practice with the non-hammer mode 1st.

Tool Guy - Kg
10-29-2006, 02:12 PM
I'd rent a drill and coring bit for this. (I say this because you are loosely describing a holesaw and sounds like you don't have one yet). A coring bit is typically segmented for drilling through thick brick and block like this.

But only drill a hole 1/8" larger than what is necessary. You said you have a 3" vent, but are you sure it isn't a 4" vent? I ask because every vent coming off a dryer that I've seen is a 4" vent. :)

** karl **
10-29-2006, 02:27 PM
i used a sds plus hammer drill - gets through anything with a chisel attachment.

Tool Guy - Kg
10-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Yep, it sure will. Gotta be real careful when you chisel, as it may break some of the bricks loose.

Hi Karl, welcome to the forum. Hey, it sounds like you are a professional. Take a minute and stop by the "Pros Hangout" forum and introduce yourself. We sure like to know a bit about the pros giving us a hand answering questions. :)

Verdeman
10-30-2006, 12:24 AM
I was hoping not to have to rent any equipment to do this. Could I just cut a 4" square with a skil saw, rotozip, or angle grinder using a masonry blade?

BTW, what's an SDS?