remodeling tile over plywood help!!!! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : remodeling tile over plywood help!!!!

munich
08-29-2001, 07:49 AM
Hi I am remodeling my condo. I am planning on tileing my foyer and kitchen. The foyer had tile installed previously. I removed the tile from the foyer it appears to have been bonded to the plywood subfloor with some the of double stick paper. When i scraped it up it left behind ripped paper some sticking to the tile, some to the floor. The tile I removed only had about 5 pices that delaminated from the floor. I guess the installation to be about 25 years old. The kitchen has vinyl flooring which I have not torn up yet. The tiles I have purchased are 13" x 13" x 3/8". I would like to know if there is any product that I can use to adhere the tile to plywood and what method i shoul use to clean the old adhisive to get a desireable bond.

Thanks,
Bill Wlizlo

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
08-29-2001, 09:11 AM
Hi Bill

Do you have any height restrictions? Could you add a layer of new subfloor over what's there to hide all that sticky paper residue?

If so, then we can offer suggestions on how to proceed from there.

Rob

John Bridge
08-29-2001, 12:05 PM
I wonder what kind of tile was installed with sticky paper.

Bud Cline
08-29-2001, 02:14 PM
There are thinsets that are for use over plywood, I wouldn't do it but the manufacturers make those claims, so why not.