PLZ Help - 3/4" gap between granite counter and wall. Can I install tile backsplash? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : PLZ Help - 3/4" gap between granite counter and wall. Can I install tile backsplash?

SMLoeffler
10-21-2006, 05:29 PM
We are remodeling our kitchen. The granite counters are in and I was hoping to have a tumbled tile (marble or travertine) backsplash installed. We had no idea that the wall could be so far off from one end of the kitchen to the other. There is as much as a 3/4" gap between the end of the granite and the wall towards the end of the cabinets on one wall. We could see that the cabinets were shimmed when they were installed but I guess that I had no idea that the granite would not cover that all the way to the wall. Does anybody have suggestions on the best way to deal with this situation. I am sure that this is not the first time this problem has occured.

Another questions. We have Santa cecilia granite. Any suggestions on a tumbled tile that would look nice with the granite? The cabinets are a chestnut color and the floor will be Dal Tile Pietre Vecchie in champagne.

Thanks so much for your help.
Susan

Sponsored Links

LGB
10-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Did your granite people make templates and was everything in place when they did? What type of material is the wall made of? Sheetrock?

Scottish Tile and Stone
10-21-2006, 05:46 PM
I would think your granite guys would of made a template and allowed for the bowed wall. Sounds like they just made a straight cut and slapped it in..

SMLoeffler
10-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Yes, everything was in place. They did come out and measure. He wrote down a bunch of numbers. I asked about templating but he said since our kitchen was not complicated (just all straight lines) that the measurements would be fine). I wasn't home when they installed the granite. I know my husband asked about the gap and they indicated that was normal and said that the back edge is always cut straight and that there were ways to install the tile that would cover the gap. If what they are telling me is not true, I may have to call them and see if it can be redone.

Susan

Scottish Tile and Stone
10-21-2006, 05:55 PM
There shouldnt be 3/4" I dont think. There will always be a gap, but not that big. Thats what templating is for. Had they done that. The back edge of the top would of fit the countour of the wall. Then you could have installed any type of tile or stone without worrying about its thickness.

Splinter
10-21-2006, 05:58 PM
they indicated that was normal and said that the back edge is always cut straight and that there were ways to install the tile that would cover the gap.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Alright... enough of that...

:complain: :complain: :mad: :mad: :wtf: :wtf:

that's better... Now get the guys back to template the counter properly... Sorry to say it but you got screwed...

LGB
10-21-2006, 05:59 PM
It's not true. A professional company would have made templates and this would not be an issue. That being said, a good mechanic would have been able to make it less noticable by removing wall material to allow the slab to be pushed closer to the recessed parts of the wall. Make them come back and fix it.

SMLoeffler
10-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Okay, so it would be normal for them to cut the back edge to fit my specific situation. It sounds as though, if they had templated properly there may be a small gap but it would have easily been covered by the tile I chose for the backsplash.

If I call them and they agree to come back, is it possible for them to remove that section and match it up to the other section or would they have to take the whole counter out and start over. I will say that they did a nice job with the seam and I doubt they could match another piece of granite so nicely.

Susan

Scottish Tile and Stone
10-21-2006, 06:57 PM
would have to see a pic of the top.

motlot77
10-21-2006, 07:01 PM
did you get prefab granite? if so they just cut it where it seams together and usually don't do a template.

SMLoeffler
10-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Hmm....I'm not sure what prefab granite is. We got three slabs from the granite yard and they were shipped to this fabricator. It's 3cm santa cecilia.

I'll see if I can take some pictures. It may have to wait until tomorrow since we don't have the lighting installed yet and it is getting dark.

Susan

SMLoeffler
10-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Sorry, I should have said that we chose the granite at the granite yard. The company that did the fabrication and installation took care of everything else. The city in which we live has no granite yards, so we had to out of town to look at the slabs.

Susan

koihito
10-21-2006, 07:14 PM
As one who has fabricated and installed granite in the past, you got fed a line of dooky. 1/4", maybe; 3/4" no way! They screwed up and need to fix it.

SMLoeffler
10-21-2006, 07:49 PM
I tried to post pictures but I guess that is just above my level of knowledge. I can't make the pictures small enough. Anyway, I measured and there is a gap of 1 1/8" at the worst areas. They did cut a piece put it in the end so that if that big gap was filled, you would be able to tell on the end. The wall is definitely the problem since the cabinets are shimmed that much but I had thought that the granite would cover the gap between the wall an the cabinets.

Susan

LGB
10-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Have they been paid in full? I'm just wondering if you have any leverage.

SMLoeffler
10-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Leon,

Yes, they have been paid in full. They did say that we had a guarantee and they did seem to be a reputable company, so I think they will take care of it if we call. We'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Susan

tsbrewers
10-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Tell them that either they get you another counter, or they get you a backsplash to match. If they get you a granite backsplash it will cover the gap. Hopefully you didn't pay them yet.

Brew

Scottish Tile and Stone
10-22-2006, 03:04 PM
1 1/8"? WOW.. Thats a bit much

SMLoeffler
10-27-2006, 10:27 AM
I just want to thank everyone that took the time to comment on my granite problem. I did call the company and they are replacing the granite. They didn't give me any trouble, they said they would be happy to replace the piece. They came out today with a couple of pieces of granite to match the adjoining piece. He said he hoped the could leave that piece in place but if needed, they will replace that too. No questions, no problems, they want us to be happy. Thanks again. It was nice to know that this was not normal and I didn't have to accept it.

Susan