Waterproofing membrane [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing membrane

Tom R
08-29-2001, 05:29 AM
Please recommend a waterproofing membrane for use under a whirlpool tub deck, skirt and adjacent floor. where can i get the necessary materials?

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
08-29-2001, 09:07 AM
Tom

The brand I am currently using is Laticrete 9235. Other MFR's make their own products. As far as I know, all brands perform as advertised and any would make a good choice.

I do know that Ultraset is very smelly while it is being applied.

You will need to go to a tile supplier for these things.

Occasionally, Lowe's or HD have similar products.

Rob

John Bridge
08-29-2001, 12:34 PM
Hi Tom,

I see by your profile you're over in Columbus (Texas). I think you're closer to Houston than to San Antonio, so you'll probably be getting your supplies here.

Nobody around here seems to stock a lot of waterproofing. You have to order it.

You can check with Master Tile at 713-688-2271 or Ceramic Tile International at 713-686-8453.

You can also check out the Laticrete web site.

http://www.laticrete.com

I'm wondering what exactly you need to waterproof. Do you have a wood floor?

Tom R
08-29-2001, 03:05 PM
Rob & John, thanks for the reply.

John, yes I have a wood floor. 5/8 plywood glued and screwed over 3/4 plywood. The tub deck is 3/4 plywood, but I plan to overlay it with hardi backer layed in a bed of thinset and screwed down. I want to put a waterproofing membrane (preferrably trowelable) over all of it and up the walls around the tub approx 9".

And your right, Columbus is much closer to Houston. 45 minutes west of Katy Mills.

Thanks again!

Bud Cline
08-29-2001, 03:36 PM
Tom R,

Why trowelable?

Laticrete 9235 is paintable (roller or brush) and is a great product. Easier to place where you want it. They have a fabric used to fold into the corner junctures.

JC
08-29-2001, 05:27 PM
Why bother with hardibacker why not just a membrane over the wood.

Dave Gobis
08-30-2001, 06:02 AM
Because he wants a good job that stays put. He doesn't have to worry about the wood or seams of the plywood if they are buried under the hardiebacker. You maximize the membranes ability when you go directly over wood. With the hardie he has some reserves because it won't be pulling and pushing so much. And I promised myself I would stay off this board, oh well.

John Bridge
08-30-2001, 06:12 AM
Dave,

Glad to have you on any of the boards. You "da man."

Tom,

Dave is our liaison with the Tile Council of America. He runs the tile school, and he is a walking, talking encyclopedia of industry specs and standards.

Dave Gobis
08-30-2001, 07:52 AM
And he is leaving for vacation now. Check in when I can.

Bud Cline
08-30-2001, 05:10 PM
"No wait". "Dave, Dave, wait don't go". "Dave"?

Well alrighty then. Enjoy your vacation.