Ot: Crushed Stone Base For Pavers [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Crushed Stone Base For Pavers

scottg
10-15-2006, 09:02 AM
i am trying to complete a walkway and steps, against mother nature's clock, using concrete pavers (outside of course). i am currently working on the steps where i will need about 22 inches deep of 3/4 minus crushed stone fill (stone dust up to stones as large as 3/4"). the pile i'm working from is wet and the weather is not permitting it to dry very well.

my question is this...is it ok to fill and compact the material when it is completely wet?? i'm not sure if there will be any problems with settling as it dries out? since this is a base for the stairs and landing areas, it needs to be rock solid. ( i'm not talking about the 1" layer of stone dust or sand that is laid down for the pavers to sit on) :bang:

my biggest concern is the base for the stone walls that will surround the stairs and landing. the pavers are easily repaired but i'm not looking to deal with a leaning or falling wall.

thanks for the advise. (have you done a paver project before?)

Scott :bang:

Sponsored Links

cx
10-15-2006, 09:31 AM
There is an optimal moisture content for packing that base material, Scott, and it usually requires watering it and compacting in no more than 6-inch lifts. 'Fraid I can't think where to look for that moisture content spec right now. :shrug:

I don't think you'll have a problem unless your pile is dripping wet, in which case I don't know how you'd be able to place it anyway.

Depending on just what you're making for stone walls, I always pour concrete footers for those if they need to stay in place long-term.

My opinion; worth price charged.

scottg
10-15-2006, 09:46 AM
cx, the wall is a concrete retaining wall block. it requires a 6" compacted 3/4 minus stone base. concrete footer would be nice but not an option with my specific situation.
what do you mean by "I don't think you'll have a problem unless your pile is dripping wet, in which case I don't know how you'd be able to place it anyway." the pile is thoroughly soaked and is not drying out much due to the cold and moisture. there is no water run off if i tilt a shovel load to attempt to drain. i don't get what you meant by not being able to "place it". i could put it in place no matter how wet it is, maybe i misunderstood what you meant.

:clap2: thanks for the info and please let me know if you find the source for the moisture content.

cx
10-15-2006, 09:58 AM
I mean it's like deck mud, much easier to place and shape dry than wet.

Maybe you're just a better tractor man than moi. :)