Need help with shower floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with shower floor

I'mdizzy
10-15-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi everybody,
Great forum. I feel like I can ask questions without shame :o .
Here's my situation. I have been asked by a friend to complete a shower that has been abandoned by the contractor hired to build it (seems he's too "covered up" to return to finish). Without all the backstory, the state of the shower now is that it's largely ready for tile. Vapor barrier behind 1/2" Hardi, and the preslope and liner are in. The bed on top of the liner has been poured, too, but here's where my question comes in. The shower is 3 x 4' and along the back wall the bed is not level. It drops about 3/4" from one side to the other. It's good and solid, and the guy left behind sand topping mix bags and sand bags, so I think it's in the 4:1 to 6:1 ratio for deck mud. I think I need to level this out before I set the floor tile and I need to know the product to use for this. More deck mud? Modified? Dry set? The floor tile is a thick porcelain 2x2". Any suggestions? Thanks!

Diz

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
10-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Diz, :)

You can bond new deck mud to the old. Where you need to feather it you can use thin set. Let everything dry before you attempt to install the mosaics.

The other thing you can do is carefully remove the mud bed and re-do it. That's if it's really bad. :)