shower walls thinset or adhesive? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : shower walls thinset or adhesive?

Atomicboy
10-15-2006, 07:14 AM
I'm just about to help someone do their shower walls. We put up 6 mil poly and then 1/2 inch cement board. They bought some kind of glue adhesive which states it's good enough for walls and floors. I advised to get flexbound thinset for the floor, however now that I'm thinking of it I thgouth I read somewhere that you should use thinset for shower tiles too, and only the glue adhesive stuff for wall tiles that are not exposed to water. Could someone advise of this?

Aaron

Sponsored Links

Bugman
10-15-2006, 07:18 AM
If it's exposed to water, use thinset. Read the fine print on the adhesive and I'll bet it will say not to use in locations exposed to water. I'm sure the professionals will pipe in real soon.

Just another JB Forum addict.

silverfox
10-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi Aaron,...I don't know what the product is that your friend has purchased but I can tell you that you should use thinset on the shower walls when installing ceramic tile. If your friend purchased a mastic product that is premixed in a container.....that's a no go. It will break down if it ever gets wet and the adhesion will fail. So....you are correct in recommending thinset in wet areas.
HTH
Mike

Atomicboy
10-15-2006, 07:59 AM
That's what I had thought. I did some of this research before when I was fixing my stand up shower surround that leaked, however I was able to take it out perfectly (as it was not installed right) and reuse it. I wish now I had scrapped it and gone with a custom one as I was intending to. However, thanks for the input. This site, and all its members are always extemely helpful.

DW73
10-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I've used Mapei Type 1 in showers many times and have yet to have a problem. Just make sure it's dried properly before you grout and you should be ok.

John Bridge
10-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi Aaron, Welcome aboard. :)

I would not use any type of mastic in a shower. Have to disagree with DW. ;)

Use thin set everywhere in there.