Redguard Or Moisture Barrier [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Redguard Or Moisture Barrier

BMWMK2
10-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I Am Doing A Shower And Tub Alcove I Am Using 1/2 Hardibacker. Can I Use Both Roofing Felt Behind The Backer Board And Redguard On The Front Just Under The Tile. Or Should I Only Use One?

Thanks Mike

Sponsored Links

Dog paws
10-13-2006, 06:28 PM
The consensus round here is to use one or the other, not both. I like the idea of having the membrane right under the tile.

John_LA
10-13-2006, 06:46 PM
You should use only one. You do not want to make a vapor barrier sandwich.
Either will work - just a matter of persoanl preference. The felt or plastic barrier on the studs is probably a bit faster. But wither will work. Just not both.

BMWMK2
10-13-2006, 07:50 PM
The Only Reason I Am Asking Is The Old Owner Of The House Tiled Over The Plaster Walls In The Alcove. Needless To Say The Wall Fell Down With One Swing Of A Hammer I Had To Replace That Wall The Opposite Wall And About 2.5x6 Feet Of Tounge And Groove Flooring. I Want To Do The Best Job Possible.

cx
10-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Welcome, Mike. :)

As has been pointed out, either method, correctly installed, will work fine and last a very long time.

You could also consider covering your walls with a sheet membrane such as Kerdi or Noble TS. Lotta good ways to build a shower these days.

My opinion; worth price charged.