lines in grout question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : lines in grout question

jmilum
10-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi.

I recently did a small tiling project using 1x1 mosaic glass tiles.

Per the instructions of the tile and the grout, I worked the grout into the lines with the float by holding it at a 45 degree angle and using diagonal motions. Then per the instructions I attempted to wipe off excess grout by using the float at a 90 degree angle and using diagonal motions.

This though left small lines in the grout because that matched the texture of the side of the float!

I then panicked and used a sponge diagonally after about 5 minutes. This wound up working very well to remove grout haze as well as marks in the grout, but was definitely not part of the instructions.

Even though the job came out close to perfect I am left wondering (for the next project) is this supposed to happen? Did I do it right? Do the lines smooth themselves out? Or do they get smoothed out with the recommended 40 minute afterwards sponging?

Thanks,

Jeff

Sponsored Links

Davestone
10-13-2006, 04:43 PM
If you used a gum rubber float it would be perfectly smooth on the sides, but i still wouldn't hold it at a 90, it'll dig into the joints...a 60 will be plenty.And yes don't worry the sponge is the tool that gets it all flat, and blended.

tilelayer
10-14-2006, 02:59 PM
some tiles like rectified you can hold the float pretty sharp and get the tile so clean with the flot you barely need to sponge the tile and only hit the joints very softly and your finished, other tiles you hold the float that sharp and your diggin out the grout you just put in there. when i grout i hit every joint a couple times from a couple different angles making sure they are full and then once im done that area i clean it up the best i can with my float being careful not to dig out the joints. when i clean i hit the joints softly with the sponge dirty until they are where i like them. then i sponge the tile diagnolly cleaning the sponge frequently and using a very well rung out sponge. then ill wash the floor 2 times and im finished. voilla!