Estimating Scrap Allowance, etc. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Estimating Scrap Allowance, etc.

formula
10-13-2006, 08:55 AM
My question is when I purchase ceramice tile, how much extra should I get to allow for normal breakage and scrap due to pattern difficulties, odd room shapes, doorways, etc?

We're building a new home and we're getting ready to install ceramic tile in various rooms -
Tile A -kitchen
Tile B - mudroom, laundry, 1/2 bath, pantry (all adjacent to one another but separated by 'river rock' accent strips across doorways), & entry foyer
Tile C - main bath
Tile D - master bath floor & around whirlpool tub

Patterns will be (what I would call) a running bond in some areas, a stack bond, or a diamond pattern - my wife is finalizing those details!

I've been reading (John B.'s book) and learning a lot from you pros over the last year or so. Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links

Mike2
10-13-2006, 09:15 AM
There are a number of variables that come into play here but the main one I think is the ability to use left-over end cuts. Stack and running bonds often facilitate that. In general I've found adding 5% to 8% allowance then rounding up to the next full case has worked well for me.

Trask
10-13-2006, 09:32 AM
My buddy Mike is right it depends on your ability to utilize the waste and the pattern may dictate how much of that is possible. I like a little more wiggle room as it seems I'm often changing patterns ect. I use about 10% overage..I'm not shy about getting more If I know the tile takes time to get or the project has a critical deadline. I'd rather have an extra box.

nashkato
10-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Remember it's also a good idea to have some extra for the future in case you ever break or damage a tile and need to replace. Chances are good that your tile may not be available from the supplier in a few years, or that the batch will have a different appearance.

Derek

JTG
10-13-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm also in the 10% club.
JTG

sgrandjean
10-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Ditto on the 10% club. I can always return some tile, if I find out that I have too much. Of course, you'll want to save back a box or two, just in case repairs become necessary. That way you don't have to worry as much about finding the right dye lot down the line.

Cheers.