Grouting [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grouting

NewbieHere
10-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Hi There. My Name is Chris.

In most material that I have read it says to make sure you spray water on the grout once a day for a few days after the grout has been applied. Is this necessary? What does this actully do?

Also, how long before I complete the grout do I have to wait to seal it? And after I seal it how long should I wait to actuall use the shower? And is the Aqua Mix grout selaer a good application to use?

Lots of questions, thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links

sgrandjean
10-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Chris,

I would think that would depend on what you're putting down. Natural stone, depending on the variety, may very well suck up the water that's in the grout, while orcelain doesn't usually suck up water.

I prefer Aqua Mix (and found at the Blue Box)...which was recently purchased by Custom (found at the Orange Box) and StoneTech (available through this site by clicking on the 'SHOP - TYW Store' link in the upper left-hand corner) products. I'm sure others on the forums might have a different opinion. I'd probably wait a week or so before sealing the grout.

Cheers.

Mike2
10-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Chris, damp curing Portland cement based grouts (misting) can be beneficial in hot, humid or arid climates where optimum hydration of the grout can be an issue. Or in situations where forced air heating, air conditioning, direct sunlight, etc. might result in uneven curing across the installation surface. Sometimes the installation is even covered with 40 lb. Kraft paper, with or without misting.

Beyond all that, the necessity of the practice is somewhat controversial. Some do it, some don't.

:)