what mortar for mud wall? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : what mortar for mud wall?

Redline
10-11-2006, 09:45 AM
with a huge option of mortars and cements at the local big box, what do i choose for a masonry wall, and how do i mix it for my application? I have a unfinished masonry wall, which I will cover in metal lathe, and needs to be about 1" thick mud when finished....half will be tiled and half will be painted....

Thanks

Doug

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
10-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Use Mason's Mix (brick mortar).

Redline
10-11-2006, 11:05 AM
just regular quickcrete masons mix....any sand added or anything?

bbcamp
10-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Just add water. Sand, cement and lime are already in it.

Redline
10-11-2006, 01:26 PM
cool, thanks Bob....am i going to have to do a scratch and final coat for a 1" wall or just see how it holds on when i get into it?

Doug

Redline
10-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Had to do the scratch coat....

since ive never mudded before it was quite the learning experience. :suspect:

the jury is out on my work....i decided to do a 2 layer method, the first being a scratch coat...it just wasnt taking the 1" i need to build...

the question is, how do i screed now that i only need maybe a 1/2" for my second coat?

how soon can i put the second coat on??

Thanks

Doug

Davy
10-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi Doug, check out post 143 on this thread, it shows John setting a screed stick in mud. A lattice stick will work fine. The mud behind the stick will set up within 30 minutes enough to stay still while rodding off of it to cut the extra mud off the wall. You will want to set two sticks.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3579&page=10&pp=15&highlight=screed+stick