Ceramic Tiles - Grout too Shallow - Mistake or Disaster [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Tiles - Grout too Shallow - Mistake or Disaster

o2manyfish
10-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Hey Folks,

Okay so I am an advanded DIY'r. And have had good results in my previous tile projects.

I am doing my master bath. The top 1/2 of the walls are 1" White Japanese Ceramic tiles set on mesh.

They are spaced at 1/16".

I just grouted this afternoon / evening. When I sponged off the excess grout, the grout is setting just below the edge of the tiles. Which means the grey porcelain edge is visible on a percentage of the tile - About a 1/2 hairs thickness.

a) Can I run another layer of grout on top to fill it in ?
If so should I clear the grout that is in there so if goes in deeper ?

a) I have one more wall of this to grout -- Any ideas what I may have done wrong ?

Thanks for the help....

Dave B

Sponsored Links

koihito
10-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Assuming your using unsanded (you should be) and you want the grout to be more flush with the surface I'd venture that your grout was either to loose, not left to set long enough, to much water was used to clean, or any combination of the above. At this point it's still real soft, I'd scrape it out and start over.

Or you could use gray grout :yeah:

JTG
10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Nathan has said it all.
If you elect to regrout do it right now and it may stick to the new grout and not have to pull the grout out of the joints.
Good Luck
JTG