New Shower Pics and Grout Problem? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New Shower Pics and Grout Problem?

JeffMiami
10-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to post a few pics of my project that many of you assisted with. Thank you. I didn't personally do the tile work, though. The job is about 6 months old.

However, having a couple problems with the grout around the drain and inbetween tiles.

As far as the drain, the grout is coming out in a few spots right adjacent to/around the PVC drain. The holes are small and do appear to go deeper than a quarter inch down the drain. Can I just let it dry out and fill with additional grout, or will this require a more significant patch? Is there an additive I should add to the grout to allow it to adhere to the existing material if I am going to try a patch?

The tiles on the wall are 12 x 12 limestone and were placed pretty close to one another and adhered to the cement board with thin set in the usual manner. The grout lines are very small, but I've noticed in a few places the grout is coming out of the joint. How concerned should I be about this? Again, would you pull out any loose grout and just reapply?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links

Grasshoppa
10-10-2006, 04:19 PM
2 things -

1. did you use UNsanded grout for these small grout lines?

1/8" or less must use unsanded grout

2. if so - how firmly did you press in the grout with the grout float?

when grout is popping out I would suspect an incomplete bond, perhaps not enough pressure in application and it was not able to adhere all the way back to the thinset layer behind the tile.

motlot77
10-10-2006, 04:27 PM
jeffmiami,

where did you get your sink? i really like it.

MarcusEngley
10-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi Jeff,

Nice work! I love that sink/vanity combo... very cool.

What type of grout did you use? Did you do it, or was it the tile contractor?

JeffMiami
10-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Thank you for the comments. The Vanity is by "Sonia."

I didn't do the grout work, but I suspect that since the joints are incredibly small that it didn't penetrate all the way to the thinset.

cx
10-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Jeff, if you had that work done for you only six months ago, call the tile contractor and have him come have a look. He should be more than willing to come fix any grout problems at this stage of the game. :)

My opinon; worth price charged.