It's beautiful -but can it work? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : It's beautiful -but can it work?

downtowner
10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
italian shower tray

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
10-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Townie,
What's the beef?
Shaughnn

downtowner
10-09-2006, 10:12 PM
My electrician tries to kill me when I buy Italian lighting fixtures.

Now I've gone and ordered a bootiful Italian "shower tray," made of china with a teakwood tray inset above the drain. The shower tray is designed to sit above the floor and be stepped up into.

I've done some research on this forum and purchased (and read) John's Kerdi book, and I've learned just enough to wonder how on earth this system can possibly work. I'm giving Italian engineering the benefit of the doubt that water that falls on the "shower tray" will make it's way to the 2 3/8" drain hole. But two side of the thing will be tile walls, one side will be a tile bench, and the other side will be partly open, partly a glass wall. Water will fall on these vertical surfaces, and it would be better, everything considered, if this water wound up going down that little hole that you guys seem to call a drain. ;>)

It's far too pretty to cover with Kerdi.

I suppose I could treat it as a giant Italian tile and Kerdi beneath it, but that would require excavating my brand new concrete slab to put a slope in it leading to the drain.

I'm stumped and wonder if anyone can help me.

John Corley
10-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Hello downtown

Iv'e never worked with one of those before, not being a smart a$$ but I would be curious as to what the installation instructions have to say about tying it in to our plumbing?

Does it sit in a already water proofed pan? How is it supposed to work?

This will be a fun project. :nod:

downtowner
10-12-2006, 10:25 PM
I googled - shower tray install.
I got 708,000 hits.

What I have is a traditional flat-topped shower tray.
They must install them by the millions in Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia.

They are designed to leak!

One site makes it clear:

"When choosing a shower tray consider that, European bathrooms are generally 'wet' environments with tiled floors and often a drain to the floor, where as UK bathrooms tend to be 'dry' and often carpeted it is or this reason that many overseas enclosures are not designed to be totally watertight.

Traditional flat top shower trays are often prone to leaking where the panel or door in particular meets the tray, silicon is used to create the initial panel seal but the effectiveness of this often reduces over time."

Well at least this is on a concrete slab in a basement with commercial grade ceramic tile. I guess I'll be all right.

But if you tile gurus have any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it.

Frank

downtowner
10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
My other question is the bench I am installing at the end 52" from the shower end.

This bench will not be inside a shower pan, but will butt up to the horiaontal top shower tray.

The contractor wants to use roof tar to waterproof it.

Can I use Kerdi instead?

How would I terminate the Kerdi next to the shower?

Thanks,

Frank

Davy
10-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Frank, you might need to post a few pichers of your tray so we can study it. Hard to tell how you're gonna keep it watertight from what I've seen so far. We would like to help though. :)