C'mon yall...what would you do? A,B, or C [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : C'mon yall...what would you do? A,B, or C

teehee
10-09-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm curious about how you pro's approach this. If you were laying a 12"X12" granite tile countertop would you

A. Layout the tiles so that you had no smaller than a half cut tile anywhere in the countertop

B. Use as many full tiles as possible and live with skinny cuts against the backsplash

C. Lay as many full tiles as you could on the most visable part of the counter and let that dicatate how you lay the remaining tiles on the other side of the "L" countertop

There's probably no 100% correct answer but what would you do? :scratch:

Thanks, Tab

Sponsored Links

LGB
10-09-2006, 08:58 PM
A. Is what we strive for but not always possible
B. Depends on the size of the cut and how the counter will be used. If it's cluttered like mine always seems to be you wouldn't see those small pieces. :D
C. Wouldn't do this if it means there would be really small pieces elsewhere.

teehee
10-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks Leon, I can do (A). but it wastes alot o tile. I can do (B) and I have a 1" strip that would prolly be covered up by clutter in my kitchen too! And (C) would leave me with an 8"X12" at one end (fridge side) and 1"X8" behind that. A 5"X12" at the far end with a 1"X5" behind that. The sink is whats killin me! How acceptable is it to have cut tiles in the middle of a run in front of and behind a sink?

Thanks, Tab

LGB
10-09-2006, 09:28 PM
How wide is your sink? That is a good place to cheat if need be, but you don't want to have to small(width) piece there either.

Shaughnn
10-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Tab,
I prefer to float out the backsplash with a mortar bed, which usually addresses the sliver in the back.
Full tile along the face and full tiles at the vertex, when possible.
Shaughnn

teehee
10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Shaughnn! I had actually considered using 1/2" CBU to bump out the backsplash a little. When you build out your backsplash like that what do you do about the exposed edges of the tile and the bed? I'm asking because my spalsh will end at the counter where the fridge goes and end the other way at a window opening. Call me clueless, but I had to do a google for "vertex"

vertex
n 1: the point of intersection of lines or the point opposite the
base of a figure
2: the highest point of something [syn: peak, apex, acme]

The vertex for me is right where the edge of my sink is. And since this is an undermount, it causes me to have a small piece of tile sitting only on that edge of the sink and not on the CBU at all. I'm concerned about grout joint failure if the joint is split between one tile on CBU and one tile on the sink rim. I'm gonna post some pics so maybe my problem is more clearer

Thanks, Tab

Shaughnn
10-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi Tab,
Often, I cap the edges with 1"x12" strips which have been bullnosed or flat-polished before cutting.
Shaughnn

teehee
10-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks again Shaughnn, That prolly wouldn't work for me I'm not using the granite tile on the backsplash, but I guess if I was using, say a tumbled marble, they can be bullnosed (since ther stone, duh). great suggestion

Thanks, Tab :clap1:

Shaughnn
10-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Tab,
What had you planned to use for your backsplash? If you plan for a ceramic, you can get 1/4-round trim that will easily wrap the edges. Some manufacturers are still making radius bullnose tiles also. Heck, I've seen wood 1/4-rounds used as well.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

teehee
10-11-2006, 10:00 AM
We're looking at tumbled marble or slate for the splash, so I guess with 1/2" CBU + thinset + tile +expansion joint, we should be close to eliminating the gap along the sink run. I'm throwing up some pichers but, I'm not sure I can get em all on this thread but I'll try (thanks joe for the info on IrfanView :tup1: ) Well I can't get the image size where it needs to be. I took the pichers at the smallest 640X480 and adjusted the quality, but it still won't let me upload. It says the image exceeds the 600X800 size. The Irfan program only lists 800X600 as a image size option? :shrug:

JoEllen
10-13-2006, 09:12 AM
I had noting but trouble w/ the Irfranview thing, but found a MUCH easier free program to download my photos - here is the link.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Hope this is helpful... looking forward to seeing your pics as I have a similar issue to deal with as it pertains to the sink!

teehee
10-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Well, I got the countertop tile in place and it looks great, so far...haven't grouted yet. Wound up with little strips of granite along the backsplash, which will nearly be covered by the splash when it goes up. It took many hours of dry layouts but in the end I feel I laid it the only way that made sense...asthetically and economically.

Now I must conquer the island! No backsplash means the skinny strip of filler tile is no longer an option. I have an idea :idea: and would love some more input. On my main counter the top tiles were cantilevered over the edge by 1/2", then the 1 3/4" edge strips went under, and the bullnosed top tiles make a smooth transition to the edge tiles (make sense?). What I'm considering for the island is for the edge tiles to be 2 1/4" and have a bullnosed edge. The top tiles would then not hang over the edge of the island top. This would of course give me a 1/16" grout line all around the top outside edge of the island, which wouldn't match the layout of the main countertop. Has any one ever done or seen a top were the edge tiles were bullnosed instead of the top front row tiles? Would the different configurations look bad together? Any thoughts, suggestions, prayers? Thanks, Tab

Bedrock Creations
10-22-2006, 02:51 AM
Personally, I think it would be pretty noticable to have the top tiles bull nosed on the counter and the edge tiles being the bull nose on the island. It might give off that "He did it himself look" more than you might like. But in the end only you have to be happy with it. :tup2:

teehee
10-22-2006, 04:47 AM
I guess I only thought I might be able to get away with it because I have seen a trend of the island top being something totally different than the rest of the counters. But since I'm using the same granite for both, that concept prolly don't work. If I do the bullnosed edges it would allow me to use two full tiles across the top, eliminating any cuts at all. I may try to mock it up somehow to see what it might look like. It might be one of those things where you stand back and look at it and say, "hmmmm, something looks different about these counters but I'm not sure what it is". I mean of course I would know and it would prolly always bug me, but.... :shades: