frosted glass tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : frosted glass tile

tallpaul67
08-28-2001, 01:25 PM
Frosted Glass Tile on floor.

I am laying a 5'x5' entryway with tile and want to put Boyce & Bean brand frosted glass tile down as a border. From reading other postings, this is what I know.

1 - fully butter back the piece for a uniform backdrop
2 - use non-sanded grout to avoid scratching (even though it is frosted)
3 - probably use white thin set

Question - is frosted glass in an entryway a good idea? What do I need to look out for? I have time to do it right the first time, and that's it. I am a one-and-done kind of guy.

Thanks in Advance,
TALL PAUL

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 04:18 PM
Hi Paul,

I don't know about glass tiles on the floor. I think they're going to get scratched.

White modified thin set is the way to go, though.

Depending on how far apart they are, you may need sanded grout.

Let's see what the others might have to say.

tallpaul67
08-28-2001, 04:23 PM
John,

I would understand if it was smooth glass, but the surface is pretty much distress. So much so that the edges are rounded and dinged. They might have been sandblasted or even tumbled. Therefore, if scratching is my only concern, I think I might be fine.

Thanks on the modified thin set info.

Paul

kalford
08-28-2001, 04:49 PM
How-dee Paul,
Since they are frosted and "roughed" they should be fine for the border.I've seen some really high-end homes with glass tile floors that had lights in/under them.Amazing affect.

If the grout joints are more than 1/8" wide you'll need a sanded grout.Unsanded will crack and/or pull from the tiles.

tallpaul67
08-28-2001, 06:08 PM
Keith,

Small world regarding underlighting. Being an Optical Engineer by trade, having done illumination engineering before, and an all-around techno-geek, I was thinking about doing just that. I would use super bright LEDs because they are low voltage (1.5 Vdc) and the rated lifetime is over 100,000 hrs (10+ yrs) continuous! You can ad a simple dimmer for variations. I don't want it to turn into a Saturday Night Fever dance floor, so keeping it understated is my main goal.

If you have any info on where I can find more info/pix on this, that would help.

Thanks,
TALL PAUL

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 06:19 PM
Hey Paul,

I'm a mud man, remember? No fair getting technical. :D

I think the Saturday Night Fever look is ready for a comeback.

The only place the tiles might get a lot of wear is if they cross in front of the door. Even frosted, glass is quite a bit softer than most of the modern floor tile glazes.

I realize, though, if you intend to back-light them, you probably won't have a lot of foot traffic on them.

Go for it, amigo!

Arley
08-30-2007, 08:56 PM
I have been doing some tile projects lately and have found that the manufacturer's are pretty good at answering this type of question. i.e. glass tiles on floors.

Also, something to think about, if you need to use un-sanded grout so as not to scratch the tile, wouldn't that suggest that dirt and sand tracked in from the outside might cause damage as well.

And as an idea from left field, I have no idea where the walls are in this entry, but if you want to add light what about using glass block and setting it into the walls somehow.

I've seen light in the glass blocks in a lot of applications lately.

Or, even using the glass tiles on the wall as baseboards with lighting behind them, instead of on the floor. That way you would get your effect without the concern of scratching. Boyce & Bean has some awesome glass tile trims that might combine well for a baseboard effect.

At any rate sounds like a really cool project.

~Arley