Easymat on countertop? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Easymat on countertop?

GHR
10-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Can easymat be used for setting countertop tile?

There's nothing on Custom's webpage or in the literature about it(all that is mentioned is using it under flooring), but is there any reason it can't be used on a countertop?

Sponsored Links

Davestone
10-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Here's a good webpage on all their products, but i don't see anything either.I've never used it myself, and if you're deflection is okay, i guess the only thing to worry about is moisture....http://www.arcat.com/specwizard/09305cus/09305cus.html

GHR
10-08-2006, 06:37 PM
That's the webpage I found too. I'd plan to not use the peel 'n' stick type since I've never had much luck with peel 'n' stick anything.
I should think that if it's made to replace cementacious products it should hold up if properly layed. And according to the datasheet "it It is a superior alternative to cork underlayments because it is mold and mildew resistant and will not rot, shrink, or absorb water." So maybe moisture won't be a problem afterall.

Oh, and the countertop is a vanity that's only 36"x21" so deflection shouldn't be a problem either. I think I'll need to rebuild it instead of just removing the laminate and laying the stuff on the particle board. I think it states that particle board is an unsuitable substrate anyway.

I wonder what it costs though, and is Home Depot going to stock it anytime soon?

JTG
10-08-2006, 06:50 PM
JD
EasyMat will work fine when you get the 3/4" plywood on the deck. 1/4" CBU is cheaper, but will take more time to set than the EM. Don't know if you can just get the length of EM that you need. Some HD's across the country now sell Schluter Ditra and/or Kerdi by the foot and it also do the same thing. If you live in Seattle, you can go to Master Wholesale and get these by the foot. Tell them Jerry The Tile Guy sent you. (everyone notice how I just said hi to the crawlers?)
Good Luck
JTG

Davy
10-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Yep, I noticed. You're slick, Jerry. :tup2:

GHR
10-08-2006, 07:04 PM
JD
EasyMat will work fine when you get the 3/4" plywood on the deck. 1/4" CBU is cheaper, but will take more time to set than the EM. Don't know if you can just get the length of EM that you need. Some HD's across the country now sell Schluter Ditra and/or Kerdi by the foot and it also do the same thing. If you live in Seattle, you can go to Master Wholesale and get these by the foot. Tell them Jerry The Tile Guy sent you. (everyone notice how I just said hi to the crawlers?)
Good Luck
JTG

That's good to know.

Unfortunatly, I'm in Houston, Tx. The local Homer stores I've been to don't even have up to date schluter catalogs(dated to Jan 1,06, newest is Mar 1,06) much less have Kerdi or Ditra in stock. Nobody I've ever talked to at any of the stores knows what ditra or Kerdi is, so it's a good bet it's not commonly ordered either. :( ANd the local Schluter 'distributors' only have limited selections of Jolly and Rondec the rest is special order. :complain:

As for the Easymat, I've never seen nor heard of it until the banners on this website, so I'll guess that HD around here doesn't have it stocked. :complain: :(

In my situation of having to bother a neighbor with a truck to buy *any* cementacious backer product it's nice to know this stuff even exists. In the small quantity I need I could probably transport it on the bus. Unless it weight considerably more than 10lbs for 3ft of it.

mporter52
10-08-2006, 07:23 PM
You can buy Ditra by the foot on e-bay. :)

Mike