Saltillo Tile Advise Rear or Fake?????? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Saltillo Tile Advise Rear or Fake??????

conscious pilot
10-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Hey all,

I need some advice or opinions as it may go. I am having a Schult Adobe Home set up and the concrete contractor let 1900 sq ft of concrete get away from him. It is a sound pour and flat (no bad high spots). Just a terrible finish. I was going to have it torn out and redone but instead settled on a $7500 settlement to cover the area. It is all out of doors. Most of it is covered patio and covered driveway.

I am a retired tile setter but have not experience with Saltillo tile as all my tile setting was in snow country.

I have studied and addressed the concerns and special needs of the Saltillo tile and am ready to deal with the fracture control joints as well as the true expansion joints where I can put a flex grout joint.
I found Saltillo tile at Home Depot for $1.45 each 12x12.

I was then referred to a brick and tile yard in Phoenix. I was told by the guy who referred me that he paid about a buck each for them. $1.79 each was the quoted price. When I asked why they were more $0.39. He told me because they are real Saltillo from the plant in Saltillo Mexico. The told me the Home Depot and Lowes version were fake. I will go look at both tomorrow.

I guess everyone is seeing where my question is leading. Is there a noticeable difference. By the time the apron on the front of the Adobe and the driveway extends to the street I will have 2400 sq ft. I donít want to mistake just to save $190. Mexican tile verse Mexican tile?

Sure could use some advice from those in the know.

Thanks
Arlan

Sponsored Links

Davestone
10-08-2006, 03:12 PM
I doubt he has the market on REAL saltillo, but a couple things to look for...Look on the back to see if it's real craggy, or clean and has the indentations of plastic or paper(he may have some of the older saltillo before they started using a cover on the ground when they sun baked it)also, see if the corners are rounded instead of squared off...this is called super saltillo..actually a different type of saltillo, and commands a better price.

conscious pilot
10-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Both tiles mentioned are the Super. I guess I can call Home Depot and ask it they are the real ones. I just don't know if it makes a difference. And I will agree that he cornered the market on Satillo tiles.

Davestone
10-08-2006, 03:19 PM
No, it doesn't make a difference, he just doesn't buy as much as HD does and can't match the price,As far as i know the govt. there controls industry and it's all sold through them, unless illegals are sneaking it out in their pockets. :yeah:

Lystra
10-11-2006, 12:10 AM
A while ago I looked online to determine if my old saltillo tiles were real and I came across this site..for me the photos helped alot. Perhaps they can help you too. http://www.jimcar.com/saltillotile.htm

John Bridge
10-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi Arlan, :)

Hop down to Nogales and buy them yourself. :)

Regular chipped edge Saltillo is running about a buck a foot in the States. Those are the ones I'd use. The so-called super Saltillo are made all over the place including San Antonio. :)

Hector Macias
10-11-2006, 10:10 PM
If the backs are wrinkly and sometimes sandy it's probably real. If the backs are smooth and have lines that means they were spit out by a machine. Home Depot not longer imports real saltillo though the boxes still claim they are real. We have pictures of the saltillo making process on our website if you are curious.