Removing Wax Toilet Ring question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Removing Wax Toilet Ring question

jdtopgun71
10-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Anyone have suggestions on removing the wax toilet ring? I am on crawl space and I am thinking I am going to have to go down underneath to remove something but am not sure. Right now I have two threaded studs sticking up with 7/16 nuts on them. Turning nuts also turns the threads. If I hold onto the thread and remove the nuts will the whole thing drop down?

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
10-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Sounds like you might be a bit fuzzy on what those bolts/nuts are doing. Those nuts only hold the toilet to the floor and keep it from rocking. The bottom of those bolts (their called closet bolts) are hooked under the closet flange (the uppermost piece of the toilet drain). And that closet flange is secured. It won't drop down on you when you remove the nuts. If you are able to remove the nuts, you can lift the toilet out of the way. Sometimes you need to hold the nuts with a pair of vice grips and cut through the bottom of the nut to sever the bolt when it's corroded. Once you have the nuts out, you can remove the supply line and siphon out the water from the toilet. Lift the toilet by grabbing the underside of the bowl. The wax ring will be stuck to the closet flange on the floor, or to the bottom of the toilet, or both. Clean it off with an old putty knife. Then you'll plainly see how the bolts will slide out the flange.

Hope that helps more than it re-explains something you already know. :)

Boilermaker 98
10-07-2006, 06:24 PM
It sounds like whoever cut the hole for the toilet fkange over cut the hole and by doing so, will allow the toilet bolts to drop, just let them go and pick yourself up a new set for a $1.50 at lowes. Be sure to get the 5/16" and not the 1/4". What's left of the wax ring - use an old putty knife to scrape the flange clean and throw it in the garbage. You'll have clean the putty knife real well before you try and use for anyting else though.

Davy
10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I have cut the bolts like Tonto said, also have cut from the top of the bolt/nut, cutting the nut in half. They are made of brass so the cutting is easy. If the bolt sticks up above the nut, sometimes you can cut a slot on the end of the bolt and hold it with a screwdriver while trying to turn the nut. Keep trying till something works. :)

JTG
10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
and like Bubba said make sure to check the bottom of the toilet to make sure there is no wax stuck on it.
Good Luck
JTG

MHI
10-08-2006, 07:37 AM
If the toilet is being replaced, I sometimes just wack the base with a hammer and break it. Why waist time with a toilet that is going in the dumpster.:)

Tool Guy - Kg
10-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Stitches, that's why do don't whack a toilet. Only take one little bitty piece to make you get a few of them stitches.