how to grout trim (decorative) tile ? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : how to grout trim (decorative) tile ?

mf915
10-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Hi, this is just a picture from Lowes. I am thinking about putting this kind of "trim" tile to the border. Couple questions here:

1) I'm using 8x10 wall tiles with 3/16" sanded grout. Do I use the same grout size for these trim tiles (i.e. 3/16 between these trim tiles) ?

2) Since the surface of these trim tiles is not smooth, how do you grout these tiles using the grout float ?

Thanks !!

Sponsored Links

sugarbeth
10-06-2006, 07:30 PM
1) I think whatever looks good. ;)

2) If you have a nice thick and squishy grout float, it'll go over those no problem.

Lazarus
10-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Sure...use the same grout.

With stuff like this, sometimes I'll put on a pair of rubber gloves and "smear" the grout on by hand. Look, it ain't pretty....but it gets the job done.

lou432
10-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey Man!! :D If it were me I`d same size joint as tile ! after all 3/16 aint that wide any how. IMHO the Listell dont look that rough ? is it lightly glazed? looks so in pic. I`ve done some REALY embossed listells + I blue tape them right over the grout joints then use a utlity knife to make slits in the grout joints, grout as usual pull tape off, recheck joints fix any missing grout + go home :clap1:

koihito
10-06-2006, 07:48 PM
I find the only really good way to get that kind stuff grouted is to just used my hands. You probably would want to use gloves (I don't because I like to feel what I'm doing) as you'll most likely bleed and have red grout if you don't!

mf915
10-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the replies !!

Before I wasn't 100% sure if i need to leave gaps between these trim tiles and grout. Now i know grout is necessary...

Blue tape is good idea ! One of my concerns is cleaning the grout off these tiles. I'll also try to grout with fingers....

thanks !

tilelayer
10-07-2006, 02:55 PM
when you grout them try to get grout in the joints only (where it is needed) and not all over the tile. I would use my fingers to grout that and use my float as a hawk