What is the best sealer for porous lava mosaic backsplash? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : What is the best sealer for porous lava mosaic backsplash?

stilegal
10-06-2006, 12:57 PM
I've been testing a couple of sealers on the lava mosaic tile I bought for my kitchen backsplash. It's very porous and just a few pieces on the sheet are actually polished. The rest are rough hewned with different textures and color tones. Beautiful stuff! Problem is, the sealers I've tested absorb into the stones, completely darkening them, never drying even close to their original look. The sealers obliterate all the beautiful textural tones and patterns in each tile flattening the color overall.

I tested some tiles with some leftover Miracle 511 Impregnator from another job and some fine art varnish spray thinking that maybe a spray would not absorb so much and I could build up the coats. Both darken the stone color too much. Does Aquamix (or some other) have a product for natural stone that will not so vastly change the color? By the way, the tile will not be anywhere near water. However, it WILL be directly behind the cooktop, so grease will definitely be a factor for future clean-up. I'm not really looking for a color enhancer, just a protectorant. If the stones darken a bit overall, that's ok with me. I just don't want to ruin this beautiful light and dark look.

Thanks again for all your help.
-Tina :wave:

Sponsored Links

Mike2
10-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Tina, try 511 Impregnator by itself. Given sufficient time to dry it should not alter the appearance whatsoever. Miracle actually makes a better product for those lava tiles, Miracle Porus Plus. But if for some reason 511 Impregnator is changing the appearance, Porus Plus will likely do the same. Aqua Mix has a product called Sealers Choice that will not (certainly should not) change the appearance nor will StoneTech Pro's Bullet Proof sold in the store here.

But back to the 511 Impregnator...if that is changing the appearance after sufficient drying time then something else is going on here that a simple change of brands will likely not correct.

:)

stilegal
10-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Thank you Mike. I will keep on testing and maybe more patience on my part with the drying time will help. I appreciate your suggestions and will look into the products you mentioned.

-Tina :wave:

Mike2
10-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Keep in touch with us Tina and let us know what's happening.

A couple comments on mechanics as far as applying the sealer. Apply one liberal coat, let dwell for 10 to 15 minutes then wipe the surface as dry as you can with a light colored terry towel. Within a matter of several hours you should see the tile beginning to return to it's original color. The time required really depends upon how much sealer the stone has absorbed so I really can't say how long it will take to completely return to "normal".

:)

Davestone
10-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Agreed,and, maybe a fan would help...... i wonder if an enhancing sealer would put back the tones and colors that are missing?I don't know if it will even work on lava...never tried it. :shrug: