Is epoxy grout waterproof? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Is epoxy grout waterproof?

brl572
10-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Here's my problem. I have an existing tile shower and it is leaking through the wall to the bedroom. This is a basement room, so it's on concrete. The grout in the shower is in rough shape. Would it be worth it to try regrouting with epoxy grout to see if it seals the leaking? I'm figuring if it works that i could avoid ripping up the whole floor and replacing the pan and if it doesn't work i'll have to replace the pan anyways.
Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links

NVC
10-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi Bryan,

I know it's not what you want to hear, but you're time and money ahead by doing the full tear-out. The grout approach is like putting your finger in the dyke. Doing it now, may save you more time and money by not having to replace more water damaged material. Water will migrate through the tile, not just the grout joint.

Mark

Mike2
10-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi Brian. :)

Here is a direct quote lifted from the Laticrete website on their particular brand of epoxy grout (SpectraLOCK)

Limitations

Epoxy grout for ceramic tile and stone is not a replacement for a waterproof membrane.

Beyond that, if you do decide to try sealing up that shower be advised that you will also be sealing in wet wood and wallboard (best case) which will lead to if not already present, extensive dry rot of framing members along with a haven for mold growth (a worse case).

My opinion is, the reality of your situation is that shower must be replaced, sooner than later. :)

jdm
10-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Methinks Mark meant dike. Finger in the dike. :D

JEPPY
10-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Jeff

I was really confused when I read Mark's post. Glad you cleared it up. It makes much less sense now. :tup2:

jdm
10-06-2006, 05:07 PM
John --

Dyke has another connotation.

And that's as far as I'm going.

tilelayer
10-07-2006, 03:57 PM
John --

Dyke has another connotation.

And that's as far as I'm going.

Yep thats what we call wire snips around here

G_wolf
10-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I must agree. A full tear out is what is required here for a permanent fix.. You need to use a water proofing membrane on the wall then redo the tile. Soooooooo sorrry.