wise to start shower job w/o bullnose? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : wise to start shower job w/o bullnose?

tp85
10-06-2006, 07:30 AM
hi all,

i am ready to tile my corner shower walls. i have all the tile with the exception of the bullnose (2 week backorder).

is it a no-no to install wall tile w/o the bullnose in-hand?

the bullnose will cover the transition from kerdi to drywall....so it runs up both walls outside of the shower glass.

i guess it will be more difficult to install the bullnose at a later date...i.e. appying a small strip of thinset. but other than this, it seems like this should be ok?

thanks,
tom

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
10-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Hello Tom,
It's often done this way, out of necessity, though you do have to be careful not to paint yourself into a corner. Trim can sometimes be sized slightly different than field tile, and so having it "in hand" will allow you to notice this and adjust accordingly. Likewise, if you have a termination line that you absolutely have to honor, not having the trim can sometimes cause you to miss that mark, if you aren't careful. And finally, you'll need to make certain that the later-set trim tiles are "on plane" with the prior-set field tile. This can be done using your grout float, in a pinch, or a beating block, if you have one. Just press everything into plane, rather than back-butter the trim and set it into place.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

tp85
10-06-2006, 12:38 PM
i don't have any critical termination line....just overlaping a kerdi to drywall transition.

as long as i can keep the planes equal, this should work out. also need to keep the field tile line straight, but that is normal stuff.

thanks.

tom

lou432
10-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey Tom, I deal with similar situations often ,when the bullnose is back orderd or they have it fabed out + a week or so delay + as long as your not too restricted on your end line + it sound as though your not you should be just fine . Go for it!

Davestone
10-06-2006, 08:25 PM
I have started many jobs cause some idiot forgot to order bn, and it usually comes in a little smaller than the sample piece and you have trouble, so i figure the layout tight against the missin bn, i can always trim it if needed, but you can't stretch it....i've tried. :DI once did a whole house without bn..no lie,it came in after i was completely done with the wet areas, and was on another job. :shrug:

Davy
10-06-2006, 08:33 PM
I just tiled a shower without the Q-round. I did get one from the tileshop I could use as a gauge. I did leave off the jamb and curb. :)

jspinoza
10-07-2006, 06:57 PM
common problem with bulnose, especially from Italy. The stuff I was using last was Italian porcelain. Real pretty tile but the BN was just profiled tile with a glaze or epoxy paint applied to the trim edge. and I had to wait 3 weeks for the crap. They dont want to make more than they need, because the tiles already made, and bullnose without tile is worthless. When the bullnose starts at an outside corner, It has to go first. At least thats what I like to do is cut into the inside corner, not the bullnose. Trade standard. :blah:

tp85
10-10-2006, 09:41 AM
thanks for all the help. i'll give it a go w/o the bullnose. :tup2: