Kerdi Shower Tray Question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi Shower Tray Question

chriseyhorn
10-06-2006, 07:03 AM
I am putting in a Kerdi Shower kit and have a couple of questions. My old shower that I ripped out was 3x3 feet, the total area of the space is 3x4 feet. I would like to put the tray into this bigger area and have the curb come all the way to the 4 foot mark, but this would leave me with 7 1/2 inches between the edge of the tray and the curb(assuming I left the drain in the same place and cut the tray the same size on each side). Can I fill this void with mud? Does anyone have any other recommendations for this area?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Sponsored Links

prashster
10-06-2006, 07:19 AM
You can mud the gap. However, it has to slope to the drain - or more precisely, slope UP from the edge of the foam tray toward the curb. This means your 4' walls will have a straight edge along the bottom for 3', which then 'smiles' up to the curb. Your first row of tiles will have to be cut to accommodate that. It's an aesthetic call. Personally, I don't think it'll be that noticeable. If it were me (and I'm not a pro) this'd be easier than moving the drain or mudding the whole floor.

chriseyhorn
10-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, my 4th tile is going to be cut anyway to accommodate the curb, a little bit of a slope on the lower edge of it won't be noticeable at all, thanks for the advice!!

Chris

prashster
10-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Before you go asnippin' wait for more (professional) responses. I've only done one kerdi tray, and did not have to cut it. So it's my INSTINCT that it won't look bad - not my EXPERIENCE.

chriseyhorn
10-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Any pros out there that have had to do anything like this?

JTG
10-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Chrisey
We do that all the time. Set the tray and then get some deck mud and fill in the space. You can use the establshed slope of the tray as a guide to keep the slope looking good.
As mentioned you will want to figure out where the lowest point is on your pan and measure up one tile from there for your starting point. Stack tile on each side of the wall and then put a straight board across as a support to start stacking tile up the walls.
Good luck
JTG

chriseyhorn
10-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Sounds good, thanks Jerry.

Chris

chriseyhorn
10-06-2006, 01:09 PM
After I mud and let dry, do I put a piece of kerdi over the tray and mud?

Chris

prashster
10-06-2006, 01:14 PM
yup. The whole thing gets kerdi'd. You have to kerdi up to the drain hole (minus the recess for holding the drain cover)

tunafish
10-06-2006, 01:16 PM
you kerdi tray and curb and everything in between. I have a question. Can you cut the tray, so you do not have a gap. I noticed in your post that you want to cut the same length from each side. While it is good, I do not think it is really that important granted you build this gap with mud anyway. the tray is 4x4, right?

prashster
10-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I thought the same thing as u, Tuna, but she wants to maintain the same drain position. If she just cuts the tray to be 4'x3' then her required drain hole would move toward the curb.

Actually, though, since you have to cut and replace the shower drain anyway to accomodate the kerdi drain, it might not be too much add'l effort to move the drain to the center. This would make yr tray symmetrical in each direction, avoid the need to do any mudding. However, it would make the tray 'smile' along the 4' walls by the curb AND the inside wall. But those curves would be 1/2 the dist of the one you propose above. Makin' any sense here?

chriseyhorn
10-06-2006, 01:30 PM
If I cut the tray 3x4 feet, I will then have to move the plumbing and that won't be fun. And also, my first row of tiles will require more cuts.

btw, I'm a he.

tunafish
10-06-2006, 01:34 PM
I see now... this way, for sure I'd make a gap and fill it with mud.
I do not know if you cut the tray or not, but I cut mine with a tomato knife - just like butter. (I have a good tomato knife, however :tup1: )