Trowel size question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Trowel size question

CargoJon
10-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I apologize for having to start a new thread on this, but I've searched for awhile and not found the information I was looking for. I hope my question is rather simple.

We are using 12x12 ceramic tile on our shower surround.

What size and style trowel should we be using to apply the thinset?

Thank you! :tup2:

Sponsored Links

tilelayer
10-04-2006, 08:35 PM
1/4"x1/4"x3/8" should do it, after you spread some set a tile and see what type of coverage you have but you should have plenty especially with a new trowel

edit: square notched trowel is what I use

CargoJon
10-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Thank you...luckily still, that was the one I bought - and Home Depot is now closed. :usflag:

Shaughnn
10-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Many here will tell you that walls can be set with a 5-spot method, which is putting a dollop of thinset at each corner and another dollop in the center. This is useful when setting over irregular walls, like those built with CBU or even the Kerdi system over wallboard. The 5-spot method allows you to press a tile into position.
Mortar floated walls are plumb and true and so a notched trowel can be used exclusively. Depending on the texture on the backs of the tiles, I'd use a square-notch 1/4"x1/4" or a 1/4"x3/8" trowel.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

CargoJon
10-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks. We did a pyramid of 5 tiles this evening and I was thinking of trying the dollup method tomorow perhaps....