New to forums, General questions, shower tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New to forums, General questions, shower tile

10-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Im a part time contractor and am fairly new to laying tile. Ive been doing for a little over a year off an on, but mostly larger areas, hallways, I even tiled an entire 1500 sf rental property as an experment (got tired of replacing carpet)
Im almost done doing my first shower. Its fairly large, walls have approx four feet of 4 inch tile on a 45, then a decorative stripe, then 90 degree tile to the ceiling. The floor is laid in 2 inch tile 12inch sheets on non shrink grout.

quesions- can I use mastic to glue the tile to the shower floor like on the walls? or is thinset the only way

Has anyone ever found a way to make a perfect circle for floor drains?

Im happy I found a forum like this... I have more questions, just cant think of them right now

Sponsored Links

chuck stevenson
10-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Welcome 3312,

Click on the 'liberry'

This Forum is one of the best on the net.

trecile
10-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Don't use mastic in the shower AT ALL, not on the floors or walls.

John Bridge
10-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi and welcome. Please give us a first name. :)

Mastic doesn't work well in showers. I don't know who told you to use it.Thin set is the "glue" of choice, and that's the thin set that is actually portland cement. It's mixed with water right before use.

10-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Name is Cale

another contractor told me to use mastic... guess on the other three ill use thin set

10-05-2006, 08:14 PM
I also want to add that the wall tile was attached to hardi-backer board and higher up, green board. The floor of the shower was laid in non shrink grout

I used mastic on the walls and am half done with the floor tile, using thin set

vbslim
10-06-2006, 04:06 AM
hello cale..
Welcome...

here is the link to the liberry that talks about making perfect holes for drains
and what not.
cutting holes in tiles (http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2127)