Thank you all, pic and 2 more questions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Thank you all, pic and 2 more questions

stilegal
10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone.

First, let me thank everyone who helped me earlier this year with my dilemma regarding cutting tile for my bathroom project. I was using a snapper and having a heck of time getting the tile to break where I wanted it to. I did get much better after perfecting my technique and I'm posting before and after pictures.

I'm now onto my next major project -- the KITCHEN. This time I'd appreciate some expertise from anyone with experience hanging stone mosaic tile (Backsplash) This is beautiful lava mosaic, not all smooth, some with a lot of deep texture and what looks like cutting grooves. My questions are these:
1. How do I keep the mosaic sheets from slipping once I apply them? I was going to use leftover Versabond from the bathrom project. I used spacers with the large tile in the bathroom, but what about the mesh backed mosaic?
2. What is the best way to keep the grout from clogging the grooves/textures on the tile? I already did a bit of research and read that applying sealer first will help. Do I just wait until the grout sets a bit then rub with a dry mesh scouring pad to clean out the grooves? Vinegar and water?

Thanks again guys for all your help with my projects.

-Tina

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
10-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi Tina, The new shower looks great. ;)

You can actually use push pins or small nails to hold your mosaic up as it dries. Grouting is best done slow and easy. Do small areas at a time and make sure you completely clean each area before going on to the next. :)

stilegal
10-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the advice and your kind words, John. I appreciate it even more coming from a master tiler like yourself.

I was thinking earlier it would probably be a good idea to tap in some small brads along the bottom edge of the top row to help hold the piece in place. So, I'm happy you concur with that solution. Sometimes common sense is the way to go don't you agree? I will go slow and easy with the grout as you suggest. You know, if it weren't for the Internet and forums like this, many of us would never dream of tackling projects like this. I spend hours doing research and in the end with a little hard work, I can save thousands of dollars doing stuff myself. It doesn't HAVE to be done in a hurry. Patience does go a long way. The nice part about my DIY projects, is that my hubby hardly ever gets a honey-do list like most guys. And trust me, he likes that a lot! :tup2:

Thanks again John!

-Tina