New here and need advice [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New here and need advice

ldylvsroses
10-04-2006, 08:57 AM
I am looking to tile my kitchen backsplash. We gutted the kitchen and are about to sheetrock. Do I need to use any special type sheetrock for tiling?
Also does anyone have links for crackle tiles? I am looking for 6x6 3x6 &some type of molding trim all in crackle finish.
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links

ss3964spd
10-04-2006, 09:03 AM
No, if just doing a back splash no special sheetrock is necessary since the area isn't exposted to lots of moisture.

Sorry, can't help you on the tiles though.

Dan

cx
10-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Welcome, idyl. Please give us a first name to use. :)

When you have the option, it's always better to install a tile backer of some sort, but sheetrock will work OK for your application. This is one of the places where one of the lightweight backer boards makes good sense, even the gypsum-based ones.

I've got the same advice as Dan on the tile. :p

My opinion; worth price charged.

lou432
10-04-2006, 09:35 AM
I think what CX might be talking about is Denshield by Georgia Pacific, + it marrys up well where it meets sheetrock (same thickness) easy to cut+install go here >>
http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pname=DensShield%c2%ae+Tile+Backer&pid=4684&hierarchy=pc

Again not 100% needed, regular sheet rock would do but worth a look !
Good luck + don`t fergit pics when yer dun :D

Trask
10-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Pratt&Larsen of Portland Or. carries a full line of hand made crackle and just about everything else under the sun. They have crown, chair rail, surface bullnose, v-cap and even mud caps. They are expensive and it is often up to 6 wks to get them. We've found some more economical crackle tile..It's out there you just have to search. Unfortunetly my sister runs our showroom and she's a walking encyclopedia of specialty tiles like this so I'd have to talk to her.

If you want to find out right now look at my website (link on my signature below)and get the contact phone number for our office ...ask for Tiffany. She'd be happy to give you the inside skinny on where you might find what your looking for :tup2:

ldylvsroses
10-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll post pictures when the kitchen is finished- Right now I am living with studs as my walls and BBQing :shrug: :dance:

John Bridge
10-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Welcome aboard, MaryEllen. :)