resurface cement floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : resurface cement floor

benjediver
10-04-2006, 07:57 AM
New cement floor is very rough and needs another thin layer of cement to even it out. About 1/2 inch I would guess. Current mexican contractor is mixing thin set, cement and water and spreading that out. Will it adhere? Need answer quick. :( Floor is to be tiled later.

Sponsored Links

prashster
10-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Not sure why it's relevant that yr contractor is mexican. :scratch:
But I wouldn't use thinset; thinset's intended for bonding - not floormaking.

What's going on top?

benjediver
10-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi Shawn, I guess I should have said, my mexican crew DOWN here in Mexico. I live down here and love it. But a lot of their methods are bazzare ya know. Also this contractor has a habit of doing it the cheapest way he can think of. So sometimes I have to do my homework on some of there methods so I WILL NOT have to redo at my expense. :crazy:

benjediver
10-04-2006, 08:55 AM
We plan on using Saltillo tile when we get the floor resurfaced. Nice Mexican casa look.

John Bridge
10-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi Ben, :)

It's hard to second guess Mexican craftsmen in Mexico. ;) The thin set mixture might work fine over the new concrete. Are they going to use thin set to install the Saltillo?

benjediver
10-05-2006, 07:22 AM
If we had good bonding agents and self leveling cement down here, that is what I would have had them use on the floor. They did mix some kind of a bonding agent into the cement before floating it. At least yesterday they did, not sure about the day before. :uhh:

Any way, I plan on probably subing the Saltillo tile job to someone else. Don't think my contractor will have a problem with that, as the last time he tangled with Saltillo, it was a disaster. I have read everything I could find on the computer, including this forum, and Tile your World book which I have, regarding Saltillo tile. I like the idea of hoseing the tile down, outside before installing it. I totally understand the reasoning for that. Who ever does the labor WILL do it my way. :) Will let you know how it truns out, Will be a while before we do it though as I plan on tileing the floor last. This is new construction.