Anyone own a 3" core bit? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a 3" core bit?

TTTTttt1
10-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I've read most of the core drill posts on this board but I'm looking for someone who actually owns and uses a 3" diamond core bit. My mind is made up, so I need to drill 40-50 holes at around 3" or 75mm. Could go to 80mm max. If you use one regularly or otherwise, please respond with supplier and means of cooling. I intend to mount in a drill press so pilot holes and guides won't be an issue.
Thx.

Sponsored Links

guitarsman
10-03-2006, 10:56 PM
What City and State do you live in? Phil

Trask
10-04-2006, 12:12 AM
You stealing my idea to make round tiles? ;)

I've got one that's 5/8-11 thread for my big Metabo. I use it for removing tiles that are to be repaired. It's a bear to keep cool and worse if it hangs up. :nod:

T_Hulse
10-04-2006, 01:21 AM
I believe Master Wholesale in Seattle has them. I know I got my 2" from them. They also have the rubber doughnut ring suction cups to hold water in a little pool around the bit. I know of others that have used a clay ring to hold water also.

TTTTttt1
10-04-2006, 07:40 PM
guitarsman...I'm in Phoenix and there are no decent bits to be found. I'm trying to decide on a bit with a continuous rim or one with a segmented rim. I'm guessing the continuous rim will give a smoother cut, but since I'll be using it in a drill press, I don't think that will be an issue. Maybe I'll get longer life out of the segment version? Also, are the coolant additives really helpful in extending bit life or is plain water and not forcing the bit good enough? How about using mineral oil, since the porcelain tile isn't that porous? I saw a website that used a rubber suction dam, a crystalline additive and then an emulsion of some sort but I can no longer find it. The bits are all over the map price-wise, that's why I was looking for someone who has used one repeatedly.

NVC
10-04-2006, 07:56 PM
:rofl: round tiles . . . Trask

7T one,

I don't own a 3" core bit, but I've had very good luck with the core bits 2" and less, 'Talon' from 'braxton & bragg" www.braxtonbragg.com

It'll set ya back close to a hun'ret bucks.

Water for cooling, the bit will be rated for the intended RPM's zez to set your press to.

hope this helps,
Mark

Mike2
10-04-2006, 10:13 PM
What you need in the way of a core drill depends a great deal on what you will be drilling. That has not been established here. However if it is porcelain and you need to cut up to 50 holes then you had better get a very high grade diamond bit. Here's a Target 3" diamond core drill from Construction Complete for $175. http://www.constructioncomplete.com/ConcreteMasonryEquipment/CoreDrillsCoreBits/CoreBitsWETGraniteMarbleStone.2.html

Like Mark mentioned, Braxton and Bragg has them for marble and granite, different brands priced from $117 to $158. GranQuartz and Keystone has them too.

TTTTttt1
10-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Most of the high end ($175+) bits seem to be the long version that are apparently intended for concrete that may have an occasional embedded rebar. The short versions in the $60-$90 range come in continuous rim and segmented rim and to me the segmented rim appears to be more substantial. Wondering if the cut would be more ragged or if upping the rpm would smooth everything out?

Mike2
10-05-2006, 09:29 AM
As touched upon earlier upstream, perhaps you could share with us what you will be cutting, how thick the material is, and what the intended purpose will be?

We're kinda flying blind here T. ;)

TTTTttt1
10-05-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm drilling porcelain tiles and upon further review I came across a website that went into the detail I was seeking.
http://www.diamondsure.com/
Under "Bit Types and Materials" it suggests that the "sintered" diamonds are longer lasting than the "bonded" diamonds. The comparison tables of hardness of different materials relative to the type of bit was very informative.
It appears I'll be obtaining my bits, if they are "sintered", ADT Blue (3" and 1") with 5/8x11 adapter, from www.toolocity.com for around one Ben Franklin. (do ya think he really made his own wooden teeth?)

TTTTttt1
10-11-2006, 09:50 PM
The saga continues....here are 7 choices I've come across. Does anyone own any of these? Think you can guess which price goes with which bit? A little Tool Time Quiz.

Trask
10-12-2006, 03:45 PM
I own "c"....that baby will twist your arm off on the right grinder.