grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : grout

glhilton
08-27-2001, 09:26 PM
Hello,
Husband and I are ceramic tiling the floor.The tile is down and we are ready to grout. Now I heard if the grout is to thin it will break loose. My husband says if the grout is to
stiff, it is hard to work with and takes forever to fill in and will dry to fast..blah blah blah.. So my question is how thick should this grout be??

Sponsored Links

kalford
08-27-2001, 09:43 PM
Hi there,
Glad to have yall stop by.
The best way I can explain it is it should be the consistancy of oatmeal or just slightly thinner.It should NOT be runny.Be sure the joints are clean and work the grout into the joints thoroughly.Filling the joints is essential to make a strong,crack resistant joint.

Bud Cline
08-27-2001, 09:44 PM
All grout I know of comes with mixing instructions printed right on the bag/box. When in doubt, read the instructions.

Rob Z
08-27-2001, 10:29 PM
Hi there glhilton

Another way to describe the proper consistency is to mix it so that it is firm enough to stand up by itself on the blade of a margin trowel, and when you push your thumb into it the imprint of the thumb remains.

If it is too dry, it will be crumbly.

Too runny, and it won't stay on the trowel.

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 05:43 AM
Skippy peanut butter, not the crunchy type.

glhilton
08-28-2001, 10:50 AM
Wow! You guys are not only fast, your full of awesome advise!
thanxs. It's my kitchen we are renovating, and if I my oven wasn't sitting in the living room right now I bake you all up a batch of cookies, peanut butter by the sound of what kind john likes. ha!
...the wife

kalford
08-28-2001, 12:52 PM
You better make two batches...one for all of us and one for Rob.LOL