Marble floor in a old house [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Marble floor in a old house

Michael Monteforte
09-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Next month i will be installing 12 x12 polished white carrara in a master bath and a connecting kids bathroom plus a down stairs bath and a laundry area as well. I plan on using ditra matt as a crack suppressor but the house is old so there will be some leveling involved to I was planning on mudding the floor with wire lath and morter.I was told some time ago, that after you set and tamp the dry pack down, that you can set the marble tile on top of the uncured mud floor and tap it level without the use of alot of thinset basically just back buttering the tile. This allows the setter to get the floor level with very little lippage and very little mess because you dont have any thinset comming up through the joints when you are trying to get the tiles level with a heavy set marble. Looking for some advice please.

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
09-17-2006, 06:37 AM
Forget the Ditra..............Use 15-20# Felt under your Mudbed and set your Tile with a medium bed thinset.............Unless you do alot of Mudwork it is unlikely you will get your dry pack good enough for a minimalist approach to setting Marble. With the med bed thinset you have a better chance of a good installation with 100% coverage which you need with Marble!!
Be sure to use a White thinset and burn it in to the back of the stone to avoid cloudiness in your marble.

I'm working on a Marble fireplace in an old 1908 Historical house now.;)

Davy
09-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Michael, I agree with Todd. It doesn't work as easy as you make it sound. I would float the floor getting it as flat as you can, let it set and then go back with a medium bed thinset. :nod: