tile on a cracked slab [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile on a cracked slab

lengal
08-27-2001, 02:17 AM
We have decided on a Villeroy and Bosh porceline 12 x 12 tile, but have discovered cracks in our slab. We decided on tile before we tore up our carpet, and some of the cracks are over 1/16 inch. We are even more worried about the living room, still under parkay, as that was where the slab cracked. We had the slab leveled by Olshan's, but are afraid of the cost of correcting the slab's inperfections for 620' of floor space. Can you help me with what to expect as far as time and expense? Is there a possibility the contractor will tell me I can't have tile?

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
08-27-2001, 06:44 AM
If I were the contractor, I'd tell you to go with another type of flooring. As a tile setter it pains me to chase away work, but why take a chance?

Your man could go in with a crack isolation system that would probably run you about $2 per square foot, and even then there's no guarantee the slab won't shift again and ruin your tile installation.

Consider another flooring option.

[Edited by John Bridge on 08-27-2001 at 04:44 PM]

Bud Cline
08-27-2001, 10:27 AM
lengal,

There are methods that can be used to isolate the tile from the slab but those are judgement calls that would have to be made by someone locally qualified to do so. Then there wouldn't be any guarantees. Have you looked at "floating laminate" floors? Tile simulations are available in those products.

John Bridge
08-27-2001, 02:48 PM
Lengal mentions Olshan's which makes me think she's in the Houston area. We are afloat on a sea of muck -- no rock until you get down 200 to 300 feet. Once a slab cracks and needs to be stabalized, I rule out ceramic or stone. Stabalization is a relative term.

Bud Cline
08-27-2001, 03:02 PM
Gotcha! I just assumed rock was two inches below the surface like it is in Dallas.

lengal
08-28-2001, 01:50 AM
Are there no products that would insure me a good result without spending an arm and a leg? I have bad dogs, and lots of kids. I thought tile would be a wonderful change after carpet. I was really looking forward to the easy clean up. We had first thought of laminate wood, but everyone said that would be easily stained, and could warp with the humidity changes we have here in Houston. Any ideas?

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 05:32 AM
Maybe concrete staining?

http://www.kemiko.com/previews/index.htm

flatfloor
08-28-2001, 11:27 AM
Staining? But the crack is now showing, no? Ok you can fill it but I doubt it will ever look good.

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 03:28 PM
We need Sonnie here. I think the crack could be disquised with some faux cracks maybe? C'mon, Jim. Come up with something easy and cheap. It ain't gonna be tile, and dogs can make a mess of laminate. Whatta ya got?

kalford
08-28-2001, 03:34 PM
How 'bout...metal lath,mudbed stamped with those rubber stamps they use on driveways and decks?!?!

cx
08-28-2001, 04:40 PM
I think John is on to something here. Stained concrete guy hereabouts says cracks, stains, dings and poor finish add "character" to his work. Don't know how much character y'all want in a floor, but I think I'd look into it.

My opinion; worth perhaps slightly less than price charged.

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 05:10 PM
My opinion: worth even less than CX's.

As a do-it-yourself project, I think this staining thing has merit. Screw it up and you can always carpet over it. I've been looking into it. I think it's coming on big time.

flatfloor
08-29-2001, 04:40 PM
http://www.decorative-concrete.net

Stuff works well, stamped concrete that is, in warmer climes, but has lots of "character" up North.

I have contacted various supplier of acid staining materials for my product we are still talking.