When to seal grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : When to seal grout

Robin
08-23-2001, 01:32 PM
How long should I wait before sealing the grout on porcelain floor tiles? I've heard 28 days, but I'd like to get the kitchen back together sooner than that!

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
08-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Waiting times vary with manufacturers of grout sealers.

Select your desired brand and follow their directions.

Don't allow sealer to set or dry on any tile surface, especially some porcelains. Apply it to the grout only and be ready to wipe off sealer that gets on the tile.

Sometimes the applicators that are offered by the sealer manufacturer may not be the best applicator to use. If you have to buy their little brush as an extra, don't. Instead you might look at the inexpensive foam paint brushes available for use as an applicator. The ones I use cost about 19 cents each.

John Bridge
08-23-2001, 04:39 PM
Hi Robin, Glad you found us.

I recommend the Aquamix products for two reasons: they are readily available and they are excellent. You can find them at Home Depot, or you can find a distributor on thier site. Oh, and you only need to wait about three days.

http://www.aquamix.com

Robin
08-24-2001, 09:01 AM
Thanks Bud & John for the replies! This site is great!!

3 days sounds much better! OK, here's a really silly question - are there certain types of cleaners I should use (or stay away from) when doing regular floor cleaning? I'm new to tile and I've always used something like Mr. Clean on the vinyl.

I noticed on another post that LDavis mentioned a color-matched sanded caulk for the gap between tub and tile, where can I get this? I don't think I've seen it before.

Bud Cline
08-24-2001, 12:12 PM
Color matched caulk isn't available everywhere. Any "real" tile supplier can get it for you though. It comes both regular and sanded.

John Bridge
08-24-2001, 03:26 PM
Porcelain tiles don't really get dirty. Water will clean most anything off them. Light detergents should be used in areas that recieve grease, etc. I don't know about Mr. Clean. Should be okay, though.

Robin
08-26-2001, 04:22 PM
Now that I'm actually grouting (urgh...what a mess), the haze is pretty bad, even after many passes with the clean sponge. I read earlier that vinegar helps. What's the mix ratio and when should I use it? Can I wait until tomorrow to wipe again with the vinegar mixture?

Rob Z
08-26-2001, 04:30 PM
Robin

STOP with the water and the sponge.

After going over the floor with a clean sponge once or twice, start using a towel to buff the haze off. Water will continue to pull cement and pigments out of the grout.

Rob

Rob Z
08-26-2001, 04:33 PM
Robin

Try this article about grouting techniques by michael Byrne. Lots of info.

http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/tile/webbbs_config.pl

You's see the grouting article listed with the others.

Rob

Robin
08-26-2001, 04:37 PM
Rob,
Because of the texture of the tiles the buffing seems to not be working. We've stopped with the sponge for now. Hum, my daughter had one of her baby wipes on one of the tiles, and believe it or not, it took the haze up considerably!

I'll read the article.....

Rob Z
08-26-2001, 04:47 PM
Robin

If the tiles are really rough, then you could use the sponge to get up grout from the tile only-scrub the tile individually, without letting the sponge get on the grout joint.

kalford
08-26-2001, 04:48 PM
BABY WIPES!!! That's what I forgot to buy today!! lol

Robin,don't use any cleaners that are "oil" based.They can discolor your grout.Don't use abrasives or harsh cleansers containing acid.To mop use a "soapless" detergent like,409,Tilex,Lysol Tub&Tile..etc. Just dilute in a mop bucket with water.But like John said,mostly just water will do........AFTER the grout has cured.

Robin
08-26-2001, 04:52 PM
considering the amount of haze, it also seems like the grout is a bit hazy too...in spots, that is. So have we caused the color to pull up and out in those spots?

kalford
08-26-2001, 06:40 PM
Robin,
What color is the grout?It sounds like maybe Executive Gray by C-Cure or DeLorean Gray by TEC or the like.Light grout will look lighter in places during the curing process more so than dark, and usually dry about half a shade lighter than the sample.It should balance out in color once it has cured.If it doesn't,we have ways of dealing with that too but let's give it some time first.

Bud Cline
08-26-2001, 10:31 PM
Cleaning (sponging) grout too soon will pull more haze than waiting a little longer. Waiting until the next day to clean haze can be a mistake depending on conditions.

Robin
08-27-2001, 08:23 AM
The grout is Sahara Beige by Mapei.

Robin
08-28-2001, 08:32 AM
Still have grout haze...

Hey Guys!
Ok, we've scrubbed each tile individually (avoiding the grout line) with a small amount of vinegar & water, but we still have some haze. Of course our haze is proabably just now to the point of most people's that have smooth tiles. The textured crevasses are really holding on to the haze.
Any additonal suggestions? Should we move on to the "grout haze cleaners"?

Bud Cline
08-28-2001, 09:46 AM
Yes.

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 04:25 PM
Robin,

Get a cleaner and give it a go. Follow instructions. You'll probably be messing with light acid. Use an old tooth brush in the depressions. Careful not to splatter into the eyes, though. Better wear goggles. Don't lick your fingers :)

Oh yeah, rubber gloves.

Robin
08-28-2001, 04:31 PM
Will do.... hopefully this will be the end of the haze!!
:)
Hubby is just starting on it now, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

kalford
08-28-2001, 04:40 PM
If it has acid in it,and most do,take every precaution to keep it off your hands and out of your eyes!!!

Unregistered
12-19-2004, 10:43 PM
1 cup vinager too 1 gallon of water yuo can wait until the next day